Sign in to follow this  

TE610 Rod compatability

Hoping someone can put my mind at ease

Currently my crankshaft is at the engine rebuilders having a new rod kit fitted. im currently also rebuilding the engine after the last rod broke into about 6 peices....

Anyway, my bike is 2000 left hand kickstart model.

the rebuilder recon's he has sourced an aftermarket rod for the bike more then likely mitaka.

I happened to be ordering some bits from an husqvarana supplier here in the uk and he told me that there were no aftermarket rods availible for this engine.

He mentioned that the rod kit for the 98 model has shims and shouldnt be fitted.

I rang the engine builder up and told him my conserns, he said the one he had came with shims but would fit my bike perfectly without the shims..

im not sure who to believe .

I cant find any good info on the subject, only thing ive really got to go on so far is that the wossner piston catalog, lists the piston for the 98 as having a compression hight of 30mm and the 00 as having a hight of 25mm. i presume both engines have similar compression values so fitting the wrong rod to the newer engine could more than likley drop the compression.

help...

Has your engine builder got a good reputation?

If so, put your trust in them, a lot of main dealers won't tell you the truth, some are worse than others !!!

Shims are normally associated with valve clearances, have to admit I don't know everything and some terminology means different things to different people, but I don't see how a shim can alter con rod length, piston height, maybe big end clearance ?

Anyway you have voiced your concerns to your rebuilder, so you should be covered if your not happy with the finished job.

pm george erl at uptite husky. nobody knows more on husky then george. i thought that caarillo made a rod, but i could be mistaken...

arg... im going to ring him again monday for the 5th time, he must be getting so pissed off with me. Ive bought a couple of syringes to test the compression when i get it back.

problem is hes not a husky specific builder, to got to husky in the uk you would have to remorgage you house.

yes, George Erl - Uptite husqvarna is a sound bet,

Taliesin have a good reputation in the UK,

Try Motosupplies, or HM racing too as they both ran the 610's in s-moto so should know the internals well,

Motorcycle HQ - Heathrow , also seem to know their stuff,

Charlie

The rods are not compatible, the 98 does not have the oil gallerys required for the later engine among other things

First I am making rod kits for the early Huskys, rod are done my problem is getting the proper roller bearing.

The rod kit with the shims will work without the shims installed, but it is better if the crank wheels are machined to except them.

If your crankwheels were damaged when the rod let go they will need to be cleaned and polished anyway.

Later George

First I am making rod kits for the early Huskys, rod are done my problem is getting the proper roller bearing.

The rod kit with the shims will work without the shims installed, but it is better if the crank wheels are machined to except them.

If your crankwheels were damaged when the rod let go they will need to be cleaned and polished anyway.

Later George

Thanks George,

I'll take that as gospel,

Charlie