Sign in to follow this  

96 XR250/400R Grease Fittings

I have a 96 XR250R and a 94 XR250L. My L has grease fittings on the linkage and swingarm. Looking at the parts explosion for both bikes, it looks like there is space between the double bearings on each side of the swingarm on the R. Ditto for the wide pivot on the rocker. The small rocker pivot (shock connection) has a bearing with no apparent way to get a grease fitting to work. The L has a bushing on the small rocker pivot, so there is no grease fitting there.

Has anyone added grease fittings to the suspension pivots on a 96 and up XR250R? I assume that this applies to the XR400R as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have seen people drill & tap for Zerk fittings into places where grease couldn't flow, especially where there's a needle bearing that sits in a cage. But where there're two caged bearings in say each side of the swing-arm, then there's no reason why a Zerk fitting shouldn't be added. But then to do the job properly you'd need to press out the old bearings, drill & tap & clean out any swarf & reinsert the old or new bearings.

And this is supposing that the swing-arm spindle will actually come out...

My old 84 xr250 had grease fitting on the linkage also. The was really convenient, a few grease pumps and out came the crud, water etc.

Over this up and coming winter I am going to install grease fitting is on 03 xr250. Has anyone found a good location for the fittings and was there any cons from doing this?

One freind of mine did this,said it was a bitch.Back in the day 96/04 xr250/400.We use marine grease,We pack every cavity solid.On most bikes will last life of bike.