Sign in to follow this  

2004 300exc Death Rattle?

My friend has a 300exc thats making some gnarly noises. All clutch componants have been checked out, he told me about the "death rattle" from the primary gear woodruff key but I have only found info about this problem on the four strokes. Does the problem happen with the 2 strokes too?

A "death rattle" could be anything...can you be more specific?

Most likely cause is the exhaust pipe vibrating in the flange. Buy new, preferably oversized, o-rings LIKE THESE (third product down) and install with with high temp silicone sealant. Add an extra pipe spring or two if you have spares.

Ok I need to clarify a bit. First off its a 2004 250 exc, and I just bought it. :smirk:

What a badass bike. I had been looking for a yz250 but after riding this thing yesterday I was sold, orange kool-aid consumed.

My friend was a little concerned about the clutch noise so I got it for a song. Anyway, Im a bit concerned about the noise this thing makes too but Im pretty sure it can be fixed. Basicly its like this:

THe bike runs and shifts fine, no noise at all unless is in neutral and the clutch is engaged (lever out)

The noise seems to increase as the engine gets warmer.

The noise is like a rattle or knocking that does not happen with the clutch pulled in.

So I got it home and have pulled down as far as Im comfortable with until I get a service manual, I have not taken the inner clutch cover off just the outter cover and the clutch plates. Ill measure the spring free length plate thickness and warpage when my book comes in (unless someone here wants to share those specs) The only things that did not look good was the alarming amount of shiny stuff in the old oil and that one of the clutch springs had been installed with the wrong washer under the bolt and it was in a bit of a bind. The clutch assembly did seem to be spreading out properly though.

Any help or advice you KTM aficionados can give me will be appreciated, this is my first KTM but so far Im impressed.

Edited by nohawk

Pulled clutch basket today and filed down the grooves, inner hub is a bit groovy too. Clutch bearing looks fine.

Pulled inner clutch cover and removerd primary gear to check the woodruff key, this is the cause of the "Death Rattle" on some four strokes. This one is fine, once I get the torque specs Ill put all the right side back together. None of the clutch plates look bad except for some notches at the base of the lugs on the fiber plates.

The strange thing is that the VIN shows the bike to be a 2004 250exc, the cylinder however has "stroke 72" written on it. I pulled the head to get a good look at the cylinder and measured the bore. 72mm across the top. Thats a 300 right??

this is the common KTM clutch rattle, they all do it, it is loud when lever is out in neutral and gets more quiet if you pull in the lever, not to worry at all. All of my KTMs since 97 have had this noise and never a bearing or failure has occurred.

• Like 1

I wonder if filing down the grooves in the basket will make it worse? I didnt take much material off but it will be more room for the plate lugs to move around.

They all rattle when the clutch is out it's normal. Here is how each of my KTM's have worked and how you can know if yours is fine.

Does it make a lot of clutch noise with the lever out? Yes! Okay thats normal.

When you pull the lever in does it go away? Great, that too is normal and your KTM is working as it should.

You just got a deal because your buddy didn't know. Now make sure you don't tell him.

Cool. Glad to know its nothing to worry about. I have noticed this type of noise on some of my streetbikes with hydraulic clutches. Maybe it has something to do with the actuator rod going through the engine?

its from the basket and its primary driven gear. in time they get loose. all bikes do this especially when they are broken in from new. some worse that others. aslong it changes the tone or decreases the noise when pulled in/disengages then you are fine.