Sign in to follow this  

What type of 4 stroke dirtbike to buy my wife

My sister rides a CRF230F, but wants one with lights for road also, she is thinking a CRF230L.

A CRF 230, XR 200, or any TTR of similar size will be pretty bullet proof and good for dialing in her skills. They are a bit on the heavy side, but they have shorter seat heights and will run forever.

Buying that sort of bike is always a tradeoff between weight, safety, and/or money. You can buy a bike much lighter bike, such as a CRF150R, but the power would not be safe and you would likely spend more. You could buy a TTR or CRF as recommended, but they are heavy for a 135 lb female beginner. Its a tricky question.

If she is a beginner, I would start her on a CRF150F. My recollection when I test rode both a CRF150F and CRF230F when I was looking for a bike for my 15 year old son was that I felt the 230F was too heavy, too tall and just a bit too powerful (yeah I know....seems crazy to say that). I went with the CRF150F and was very happy with that decision. I seem to recall he was about 5' 8" at the time.

Just looked up the specs:

CRF150F 223lbs, 32.5" seat height

CRF230F 238 lbs, 34.1" seat height

If you trail ride with your wife, she will appreciate having the shorter seat height of the CRF150F.

Unless she is really aggressive and quite the adventurous woman....do not get her a KX100. I think it might be a bit too small for her, but it rips....2.5 times the horsepower of the CRF150F (which has about 12-13). You really have to rev a two stroke to keep it in the power on a trail. I cant see a wife who is a beginner doing that (at least not right away).

I bought my girlfriend who owns a harley a kx100 and she did ok on the flats but when it came to the hills she had to try and maintain close or in the powerband and that was somewhat difficult and scary for her as she was new to dirt bike riding. My recommendation for a beginning female rider, if I had to do it over again is a crf150f or a crf230f as both can be lugged around and have more than enough pick up for a beginner plus you won't have to worry about her mixing gas.... when she's ready to move up by her a 200xc with a rekluse