Sign in to follow this  

circlip installation

When installing a circlip into a piston, will it cause damage to the circlip (or grove it sits in) if it is installed with the open end at the bottom and then turned in the grove to the 12 o'clock position?

When installing a circlip into a piston, will it cause damage to the circlip (or grove it sits in) if it is installed with the open end at the bottom and then turned in the grove to the 12 o'clock position?

As long as the opening of the cir-clip is not lined up with the piston's opening groove for the cir-clip, you'll be good. The goal is for the cir-clip's opening to be opposite of the piston's opening groove. I personally have not seen a cir-clip move before, but I'm sure it has happened.

I already installed the circlips with the open end at the 8 o'clock position and was just wondering if it does any damage to spin the clip to the 12 o'clock position while its already snapped into the groved.

I already installed the circlips with the open end at the 8 o'clock position and was just wondering if it does any damage to spin the clip to the 12 o'clock position while its already snapped into the groved.

I doubt you will be able to but if you can get it to spin without digging in it wont hurt anything. Also wont help much, as long as the open end isnt exposed in the "slot" keeping you from being able to remove it later you are fine...