Sign in to follow this  

650r front master cylinder to a crf upgrade?

I saw a craigslist add. http://chico.craigslist.org/mcy/2811841707.html

for a front brake Assembly that has a crf master they also claim that its crf master gives it a 20% more breaking. can anyone confirm or deny that claim. I looked up crf450 master cylinder on ebay and they dont look and bigger. But being i do a lot of supermoto style riding on the 650r and am not 100% satisfied with the front brakes i figured this might be a cheap and easy upgrade. and yes i have bled my lines and the previous owner put on stainless lines. and i dont want to spend the money on a bigger rotor. any ideas or thoughts.

thanks

I put a newer CRF master cylinder on my YZ,it did make it more powerful yet it feels mushsy at first.

I run a larger disc on the front of the 650R,Major improvement!! Go for the EBC oversized rotor kit to be sure. It's worth the 125 bucks or so.The stock set-up is a whimpy POStuff. !

good info. 125$ isnt as bad as i thought it would be. thats for everything you need? just replaces the rotor and has a bracket to move out the stock caliper right? I guess another thing i thought was the bigger disk's realy only help with brake fade. Witch isnt realy an issue simply because i dont abuse the brakes. and in the dirt the front is more than enough to lock up the front even in high grip situations but at freeway speeds, in panic stops etc. it takes alot of effort. Of course i think im just spoiled with my vfr's big dual disks and linked brakes, and no front end dive :smirk:

Ya, the kit comes with a spacer. I was completely surprised at the difference! The only thing i don't like is it hangs lower and gets hit in the boulder fields every now and then.

Another thing...use oem pads. I tried two other after market pads that worked like crap.

just saw this at motorcycle superstore

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/209/36148/19836/PITEM/Braking-Caliper-Bracket-for-320-Front-Rotor-2001-Honda-XR650R-Parts.aspx

now i just need to find a 320mm disk that will fit the brp.

luckely for me the brp never realy sees anything too technical. I truck the cr for stuff like that. so im not too worried about hitting rocks