Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E vs DRZ400S

I'm thinking about going back to a DRZ400..."plated E model' this time. I had an 09 S model and was very dissatisfied with the weight/Hp ratio. Especially the top heavy sensation as compared to my other bikes. Also keep in mind all I did was the air box mod and rejet on that bike. I've seen the weigh spec that shows about a 30 pound difference between the E and S. I know from experience where the weight difference comes from makes a big difference in terms of how the bike feels.

My question to anyone that has spent a lot of time on the saddle of both the S and E models: Is the weight difference all that noticeable between the E and the S?

Edited by T30

I've had my E for about 5 years now. Although not to much heavier then other enduro's on paper, it feels a lot heavier. I think the DRZ carries its weight up very high. I've had expirience with a late model KLX450R and they feel much much lighter, although on paper, again there is only about 5-10kgs diff. Have never riden an S so can't compare. So in my opinion the E still feels heavy.

the weight difference is in the subframe and passenger pegs primarily... its not something that riders usually notice switching between the two bikes... a well setup suspension will make a much larger difference then the weight.

Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid that it wouldn't make that much difference.

I guess I'll stick to my plated dirt bikes for now. I'm hoping the rumor that Yamaha will coming out with an FI dual sport version of the WR450F in 2013 is true. If they do that and equip it with a slightly mellower 450 motor with more oil capacity that would be great. That way its not such a maintenance hog like my 52 hp BMW G450X.

Edited by T30

the weight difference is in the subframe and passenger pegs primarily... its not something that riders usually notice switching between the two bikes... a well setup suspension will make a much larger difference then the weight.

not really

E subframe is a bit shorter (& Al weighs very little), and passenger footpegs weigh about 2-3lbs

Its no one/two items that add the majority of the weight

Its a little bit everywhere - headlight, metal tank, handle bar switch gear, horn, extra wiring, exhaust, mirrors, indicators helmet lock, subframe, licence plate hange, rear light, passenger pegs and so on, add the weight to the S model

Edited by GuyGraham

I have both,i think the e fells alot more nimble and as craig shows us (and butt dyno)it faster .Also for those of us that take dirt naps it's easier to pick up.

I have both,i think the e fells alot more nimble and as craig shows us (and butt dyno)it faster .Also for those of us that take dirt naps it's easier to pick up.

Yes

I've taken many "dirt naps" with my S. Especially when the bike would stall off idle with the CV carb. With my 32 inseam the bike was still too top heavy for its height and once it leaned a bit on a stall in an off camber trail, forget it! Dirt nap. Lower back takes a beating from the DRZ pick up. I have taller KTMs and Huskys but the weight makes this more manageable. Plus they don't stall off idle. I really like the maintenance schedule of the DRZ though. Still thinking.....

Edited by T30

I'm looking at a second hand bike. They say it's DRZ400E from 2002 but I am not sure. I am new in this brand and type of bike. Here in Vietnam you buy the bike without papers so really have to know what to look for. If I read the posts here I tend to think it's a S-type. But when looking around on the internet I see also many E-types that look the same? Or are they mixed up many times?

Thanks!

I am new in this brand and type of bike. Here in Vietnam you buy the bike without papers so really have to know what to look for. If I read the posts here I tend to think it's a S-type. But when looking around on the internet I see also many E-types that look the same? Or are they mixed up many times?

Thanks!

If you post up pictures of the bike and engine we will be able to tell you which it is.

• Like 1

If you post up pictures of the bike and engine we will be able to tell you which it is.

I tried that, uploaded pics at PICASA but they do not allow that. Can you tell me how to, I seem to have as little knowledge from posting pictures as I have from DRZ400...

So I uploaded the pictures in Photobucket, pasted the link in the URL block after pressing the image button but now I still only see the link? Is that the same for you?

In picasa.. Go to the page with the full size photo of the picture you want to show.. Right click "copy image location" then, when making your post... Click on the icon that looks like a photo and paste into the URL box

Looking at the speedometer/odometer, locking gas cap, and rear foot pegs, it looks like an S to me. But that's how the S would come in the US, I'm not sure how the E is configured in other countries (like Australia) where the E comes street legal. I also see a slip on muffler of some kind and an Edge tail light kit.

I'm looking at a second hand bike. They say it's DRZ400E from 2002 but I am not sure. I am new in this brand and type of bike. Here in Vietnam you buy the bike without papers so really have to know what to look for. If I read the posts here I tend to think it's a S-type. But when looking around on the internet I see also many E-types that look the same? Or are they mixed up many times?

Thanks!

What carb.. Mikuni BSR36 or an FCR39?

Look at the base gasket.. is it a single layer? or 3 layers held together with a rivet?

Other than that you would have to measure the header diameter and check the markings on the cams.

The other things mentioned above are indicators on a DRZ S/E for the US market.. bikes that get delivered to places like where you’re at.. no telling how the bolt on stuff might be configured.

Looking at the speedometer/odometer, locking gas cap, and rear foot pegs, it looks like an S to me. But that's how the S would come in the US, I'm not sure how the E is configured in other countries (like Australia) where the E comes street legal. I also see a slip on muffler of some kind and an Edge tail light kit.

That explains part of my question, street legal versions available in Australia, thanks.

Best would be if I can identify a part of the engine for the E.