Sign in to follow this  

99 YZ250 Woods Gearing Setup

Looking to set up my yz250 for tight woods riding. I need new sprockets. Should i go with stock gearing? Also i have a yz400f woods bike with an 18" rear tire. I dont notice a difference. Whats the reason for the changeover?

CaveMike have 99yz250. Him like 14/52 for very tight woods, 14/50 normal. Flywheel weight be good add on too. 13/50 work about same according to CaveMike and him cave math.

The 18 inch rear rim just has more tire around it to protect the rim. In other words the rim is further away from rocks.

Maybe a little plusher ride with better traction. :smirk:

I have been fine with a 19.

Im running 13/50 Im thinking of dropping 2 on the rear. Im getting caught between 1st and 2nd when its tight and 2nd and 3rd when it opens up a little

Looking to set up my yz250 for tight woods riding. I need new sprockets. Should i go with stock gearing? Also i have a yz400f woods bike with an 18" rear tire. I dont notice a difference. Whats the reason for the changeover?

the 18 gives you more sidewall in hopes of less flats.

on my yz i run 15/52, single track rocky slow stuff, but i have a rekluse also.guess depending on your riding style is what you need to go with. the taller gearing helps with less tire spin because the engine turns up slower, when your older slower is better.....................lol !

13/49 for me and a higher profile rear 19inch tire to help with the cushion.

Works great in the tight to relatively open stuff. No auto clutch here, just a 13oz FWW and Hydraulic clutch.

Hey bobbyward do you think you could snap a photo of what your 15 tooth front sprocket looks like with the chain. I'm interested in getting a 15 tooth front and running 15/49 gearing but I'm worried about clearance issues with a larger front sprocket. Also, isn't going up one tooth in front equivalent to going up 3 teeth in the rear?