Sign in to follow this  

WHAT TO GET FOR FIRST BIKE? help please!

So i am in need of some good advice. Im am interested in buying my first dirt bike and dont know what size to get!! Since I was very young i always wanted to get a bike. I remember always asking my mom to stop at the local dealer so that I could look at the 80cc bikes when I was about 6 years old. I saved and saved for years but was never able to save enough to come near the amount i would have needed to buy one. My mom was never able to afford to buy me one as a single parent with 2 kids.. Well.. I am 18 now and have a full time job and make pretty decent money. I figured now would be the perfect time to follow up on my childhood dream and buy a bike of my own. Only problem is, I was considering buying either a yz250f or a crf250r, but ive been told these bikes arent powerful enough for a guy my size and I would just get bored of it after a couple months. Ive also looked at a couple yz250 2 strokes because they are a bit more powerful but not as powerful as a crf450r or a yz450f. I would like to get a 450cc 4 stroke but i am not sure if the bike would be too powerful for me to learn on. I Have some money put away and I would like to get a bike within the next couple weeks, but I want to be sure I am going to be happy with my investment

ANY/ ALL ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRICIATED.

heres a little bit about me:

- 18 years old

- 6'2"    235lbs

- riding expierience is pretty limited. ive riden atv's,atc's, and dirtbikes only a handful times. but never long enough to get very comfortable and ride hard.

- Very comfortable with using a clutch and manuel transmission (my first car was stick shift)

- I would consider myself to be a quick learner

Give us a little more info and you will get a more educated answer. What type of riding are you planning on doing? Do you have solid mechanical skills, will you be paying someone to maintain your bike, or will you be learning to work on your bike as you go? Are you buying new or used? Are you aggressive (you’ll kill yourself on a powerfull bike) or a patient learner? Red sticker, or Green sticker since you are in Cali? Also, remember to budget for some protective gear.

Welcome to Dirt Biking, You’ll love it.

CoKTM

id like to hit the track more than anything. and ill be doing a small amount of trail riding and ill definitely be taking it to the dunes. (GLAMIS!!!)

and as far as mechanical skills id say i am very mechanically inclined. ive never worked on a dirtbike but ive done a wide varitey of work on vehicles from changing an alternator to swaping a motor. ive always done all the routine maintainence on my own vehicles, So i definitly plan on doing all work/maintainence on the bike myself. I understand that 4 strokes require more maintainence, and 2 strokes require more rebuilds... and i am ready for either or.

I plan on buying the bike used, and spending anywhere from $2000 - $3500.

As far as getting a red/green sticker, I dont exactly have a full understanding of the limitations of a red sticker so i am not sure about that yet.

thanks for the replies!!!

Edited by Luke.sr20det

oh and i would consider myself to be a lil bit aggressive but if i were to get something more powerful id have more respect for it and take it easy.

At your size and experience, a 250F will be fine on the track and trails. It will be under powered in the dunes but still acceptable. If you learn via "the school of hard knocks” I would suggest a 250f. They have smooth enough power that you can gain experience without killing yourself and have enough power to keep you well entertained. Also, if you plan on racing MX I would suggest a 250f as you will find suitable classes to ride in. If you are a methodical, controlled, learner and will not be racing I would look for a 250 2 stroke. You will be able to find a better bike within your budget. 250 2-strokes are great play bikes at the track, excellent in the dunes, and fun in the Cali desert. The extra power, and “hit” of a 250 2-stroke will make it harder to learn on and will get you into trouble quickly if you are aggressive. Figure out the red/green sticker deal, factor in where you plan on riding the most (probably based on who you will ride with and how you get there), and assess your learning style to see what would be best for you. Also, budget some protective gear because as a new rider you will sample the dirt periodically.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm
  • Like 1

thanks for the feedback it is much appriciated. i would like to go for a ride on a 250f before i make my investment. My moms boyfriend has a 95 yz250 2 stroke so i am going to see if he would let me take it for a spin to see how it feels.

I'd avoid the 450's for now, especially the MX bikes. Get some seat time on a 200/250 2T or 250 4T, until the basics are second nature . Think about taking an off road riding course, like the MSF DirtBike School, to help get the fundamentals down. If you buy gently used, you can sell a good condition 250f for nearly what you paid for it, so if you decide you need the bigger bike in a year you won't be out much. A 250 will pull you around just fine, and while you may eventually get bored with it, it will take a lot longer than a few months and if you do you'll have a much better idea of what you want next.

Edited by xsrdx

Hi Luke. Hopefully moms boyfriend will let you ride the YZ and you can see for yourself that a 250 2 stroke can be ridden.

As a first bike, a 450cc four stroke will be a bit big. Try a smaller bike for a couple years and then move to a 450!!

I’m hedging here young man, for unless you go on a diet and get below 180lbs, any 250 four stroke is going to be too small. And you do not have enough experience to mount a 450 and ride with confidence.

So hey, turn off the TV, knock off the Soda, Candy, Chips, Cookies, Rock Star drink, and get a bike. Work out and have a blast riding. Once you get hooked on bikes, its hard to get off.

Your idea of a 250 four stroke, or there abouts, is right on. Now you need to decide whether you want to go strictly off road riding, or would like to do mostly off road with some street. These days in the wonderful state of CA a strictly off road bike has very limited use, and the use is being limited ever more.

In general, off road bikes are licensed as green sticker, a bike that can be ridden all year, or a red sticker, a bike that can be ridden part of the year. Red sticker bikes are usually ridden in late fall and winter.

A dual sport bike is an off road oriented bike that can be registered for street riding, plated, as well as off road riding.

If you desire to ride all year and on public lands, then look for a green sticker off road bike or a plated dual sport bike. This is the safest way to play and will provide you the widest latitude in recreational opportunity!!

I cannot tell you what bike to buy, No one can. I can steer you toward bikes that are fit for a type of riding, as long as I understand your type of riding, or what you want to do with a bike?

Edited by youngztr

+1 XSRDX.

Being new to riding, I would completely avoid 450s, regardless of your size.

It sounds as if a 250F would suit your needs well. However, if you really dont know what you are looking for, you can really get screwed buying a used 250F. This is actually true with any bike, but especially with 250F MX bikes because they tend to wear out quickly and are very expensive to repair..even if you do your own labor. There are alot of ragged out 250Fs for sale on the market...especially in the $2000-$2750 price range. The reason I picked this range is that you will need gear and you can plan on sinking a few hundred into whatever you buy..generally for at least a few of the following..tires, chain, sprockets, brake rotors, brake shoes, fork seals, wheel bearings, etc. If you go with a 250F, I would strongly urge you to find someone who knows bikes very well...to ride with you and check out the bike. Personally, I would never buy a $2500 250F unless I knew the previous owner...but thats just me.

As mentioned, if you are a quick learner and patient, I think the best bang for your buck is a 250 2t. If you blow the motor, you will spend much less (in parts alone) rebuilding a 2t than a 250F. Anyone can rebuild a 2t engine, but you almost have to be an amateur motorcycle mechanic (slight exaggeration) to rebuild a 250F. I would shop for a clean YZ 250.

Edited by moto_rider7755

Im getting ready to go check out a 03 yz250 2 stroke. if its in good condition ill be pickin it up

Hopefully you found the perfect bike!

CoKTM

Hopefully you found the perfect bike!

CoKTM

I did. and I LOVE MY YZ250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha thanks again for all the help guys.

I did. and I LOVE MY YZ250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha thanks again for all the help guys.

Sweeeet!!! Now go out a wear the knobs off the tires. Welcome to the the world of dirtbikes. If you got the manual, set all suspension settings to their stock positions before riding much.

CoKTM

The lites bikes would not be powerful enough for your size. A 450 would be better if you can pour in enough for maintenance because the power comes on more easily.

A 250 2 stroke is lighter and more controllable in corners but the powerband may hit too hard for a beginner. Either are good choices and all the big five brands are affordable and work well.

Sweeeet!!! Now go out a wear the knobs off the tires. Welcome to the the world of dirtbikes. If you got the manual, set all suspension settings to their stock positions before riding much.

CoKTM

what are some other things i should do before i take it out?

In addition to re-baselining suspension settings, I would grease swingarm/linkage, and head bearings, lube cables, check bolt torque (don’t just tighten everything), adjust sag, adjust chain, check air pressure in tires, clean filter, change oil, and give it a general close inspection. That way you can find anything that might need attention. If you know anyone that is a good bike mechanic that can help you they can give some good pointers. If you start a post in the general section you will get more additional ideas.

CoKTM

Clean up air filter, change oil, lube up sprockets and chain. Even a compression test if you want to.

alright cool thanks again fellas. i think ill start working on it in the morning.. and for the rest of tonight, ill just be sitting in the garage starring at it :thumbsup: haha