2000 TTR 90 gas tank

Bought a TTR 90 for my son this week and a 2001 yz 125 for myself. hopefully he will enjoy riding enough that when he gets alittle better we can ride together.

6773599883_608d43d9c1_z.jpg

IMAG0059 by ahlebik, on Flickr

I am the third owner, it appears the first owner patched it with a unknown substance but its old and holding well "seen here in bottom of picture :

6773597269_107936bd4f_z.jpg

IMAG0060 by ahlebik, on Flickr

And the person I bought it from said it was cracked above the seat and he sealed it with general purpose silicone. I wasnt sure that would hold up to gas but if it worked for him and his girl it would work for my son until I could find a tank or seal it better.

Once I got it home I filled it up with gas and guess what another leak not patched. That was a suprise. If he would have just mentioned that I would have fixed it before filling the tank. Looking around the shop I found some JB Weld. I am sure that it would hold up to gas but didnt know if it would bond well to the plastic tank. worked fine!

6773598871_cbc7be7e43_z.jpg

IMAG0061 by ahlebik, on Flickr

I put gas in the tank and promised my boy we would ride it the next day after i got off work. When I got home it was leaking from the previous owners patch job "silicone" below the gas cap. With gas in the tank the silicone was just pealing off the tank. drained the gas, removed all the silicone, and mixed up the rest of the JB weld i had on hand. I patched that spot and went over some of the other patch jobs with the extra.

6773598071_84cf5d8129_z.jpg

IMAG0062 by ahlebik, on Flickr

I hope it holds for a few "learning" rides.

I dont want to make a trip with this setup tho and I dont expect it to be a perminant fix. Looked around for gas tanks and they are $260. Thats just under what i paid for the bike. Couldnt find a aftermarket tank online but I am not sure im looking in the right places. I am in el paso and the bike shop here in town is owned by a car dealership "salesmen run".

Anyone know what bikes compare to this one that I might be able to mix and match parts? yz80 maybe?

Good place online to buy parts?

any other advice on the patch job or in general?

thanks!

Andy

perfect my70stangs. a local shop has a few ttr110's that i can compare tanks with. as long as its close enough i can work up a fix for it.

your are stronger in the interwebs than i am.

Come on some one has to have an answer to this. Does the 110 tank fit the 90, anybody tried??? I am trying to do one up for the grandkids.

Hey all, I've lurked these forums long enough for help that I thought it might be time I create an account and try and contribute something.

I don't know about alternate tanks fitting or not, but I am in the same boat with my wife's 2001 TTR125L.  Had 3 cracks in it and a new tank is like $300 which seems insane.  I ended up repairing by plastic welding.  My tank, and I assume the other TTR's are similar has a big "PE" on it visible when  you remove the seat.  This indicates polyethylene, and just PE usually means LDPE or low density polyethylene, not HDPE.  Here's what I did:

1. Drained the tank and washed several times with Dawn and water.  I didn't want to blow myself up after all.

2. Drill out the ends of the cracks with a 3/32 drill bit or similar size small bit to stop the crack from propegating.

3. Used a dremel type rotary tool with a tear drop bur to "V" out the crack a little bit.  I didn't go all the way through with that, just a groove along the cracks.  This cleans the plastic to be welded as well.

4. Using a cheap $15 harbor freight plastic welder (like a soldering iron with a triangular tip) I went slowly along the v-groove/crack to melt the crack together somewhat.  Then I applied some LDPE filler I made from a squeeze-it/kool-aid kool burst drink bottle, those are LDPE plastic.  I smoothed over the top several times to get the finish somewhat contoured, but it is a little ugly, I'll admit. You want to lightly go over the edges a little extra to be sure that the filler and base material are melting together.  Constant movement and very light pressure seemed to do the trick.  

5. optionally, you can actually sand or grind smooth the weld and then make a pass over the repair with a heat gun or torch to just smooth the surface.  It looks much better if you do.  I didn't do that yet on this particular job.

I filled it up full with fresh gas (after drying the tank) and rolled it around and no leaks!  It's only been a few days and one test ride around the block, so far its holding.  I'll try and update after some time to see how it holds.  

Here is a link to a pic of the finished work. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7KebLYZ2pRKdGloT09sdjNkdGc

Well after having no luck finding a solution to my leaking tank I ordered a new (2016) ttr110 tank, seat and complete plastic kit off ebay and got it all for less then $100. It was fairly easy to install if u can weld at all. All u need is a welder, cut off wheel, drill with around a 5/16 bit and some 1" flat bar 1/8" thick. 20170313_085913.jpg20170318_165707.jpg20170318_165656.jpg20170318_165647.jpg

I'm looking to do the same plastic swap with my sons TTR-90 its a 01. Would you mind sending pics of the weld and what you had to modify to get the newer plastic on? Also is the plastic Yamaha or a different brand?

Thanks for you help.

I'd Love some pics as well. The price for TTR 90 plastics is unbearable. I may just go ahead and order the 110 plastics and have a go at it myself. If I do I will be sure to document it for everyone else. 

Cheers.

Hey CM2fab!

Do you reckon the TTR110 plastics/seat swap on my TTR90 would be possible without a welder?

Or if not, would just the plastics (without the 110 seat and tank) be fairly easy to do without welding?

Thanks!