Sign in to follow this  

i think i broke it

Hi. I've just been playing with my bikes suspension setting and I think I over screwed the rear compression adjuster (screwed it to far in). Have I broken it, pretty sure I have. How can I fix it? Do i have to remove to adjusted assembly?

Thanks in advance

it happens, the part is not order able separately and the only way to change it is the entire assembly (a large part of the shock body) from what I have read in the past from one of the well respected members, is that is a lot cheaper to just replace the entire shock from ebay and rebuild.

There is only compression damping and rebound damping on my bike. One at the top and one on the bottom. I broke the one at the top

There is only compression damping and rebound damping on my bike. One at the top and one on the bottom. I broke the one at the top

So from your description you have an older DRZ, as it has no high speed compression adjustment.

The adjuster assembly is not repairable, there are no service parts to fix it. It can be replaced as an assembly.. and the service part is available,, but pricy,, and more so for your older shock.

There are tons of DRZ’s parted out on ebay, TT classifieds, SMJ, ADV, and others.. the price of a good used shock has always been cheaper than a new assembly part when I’ve done this fix on others shocks.. A plus for you is, you can pick up a good used 2003 or later shock that will have the high speed compression adjustment.

Cool I think I will just replace the lot then. Also what is the difference between the sm and the regular dual sport versions of the the rear shock. I have just converted mine to a motard but will be changing back when I want to go off road. What would I be best looking for, the sm or the regular one. Also my bike is a klx400r 205 model it seem strange that it doesn't have the high and low speed adjusters

Cool I think I will just replace the lot then. Also what is the difference between the sm and the regular dual sport versions of the the rear shock. I have just converted mine to a motard but will be changing back when I want to go off road. What would I be best looking for, the sm or the regular one. Also my bike is a klx400r 205 model it seem strange that it doesn't have the high and low speed adjusters

The SM is shorter, so unless your going to lower the front as well,and leave it that way.. Get a 2003 or later E / S shock.

And is that " klx400r 205" a klx400r 2005 ? If so, non Us import bike, and what shock they used is a mystery as we only got that bike in 2003, and it was an exact replica of the DRZ same year, but in green plastics