Sign in to follow this  

Get sand out of bottom end?

I was rebuilding my topend and there was a unseen buildup of sand on the frame :bonk: . so now I am stuck with sand in my bottom end :smirk: and i was wondering what the best way to get it out is and make sure that all of the sand is gone. never had this problem so i have no idea how to go about this. i dont know if i can just pour oil straight down or what. any help would be much appreciated. The bike is a 2008 KTM125Sx

I was rebuilding my topend and there was a unseen buildup of sand on the frame :bonk: . so now I am stuck with sand in my bottom end :smirk: and i was wondering what the best way to get it out is and make sure that all of the sand is gone. never had this problem so i have no idea how to go about this. i dont know if i can just pour oil straight down or what. any help would be much appreciated. The bike is a 2008 KTM125Sx

by the way this isnt much sand at all just a little like maybe a penny size amount

A penny sized amount of sand is enough to destroy your power valve, piston, cylinder walls, rod and crank.

Sorry to say it, but the engine needs to be taken out, disassembled (as in crank removed) and thoroughly cleaned out.

No not even penny like some around the edges that hasn't fallen into the bottom end yet and just a little like 15 little grains of sand I can't flush it put with diesel fuel

You should at the least remove the motor from the bike...fill the bottom end with diesel/kerosene or premix and and turn it upside side and slow spin it over......do this several times. The only for sure way would be to split the case as suggested. It being a 08 makes it worth doing it right.

You should always powerwash the bike spotless as possible before removing the topend.

I was taking the engine out to do as suggested and turns out the right side case is cracked. So now i have to split it anyways. The only reason i was avoiding this is for me this is uncharted territory. Does anybody know the best way to go about this.I have to transfer everything from my old engine cases to the new ones. The manual is not very detailed on the bottom end and i have never taken it apart before. HELP ME PLEASE :smirk: this is a 2008 KTM125SX

Get a manual. Also, I like to use a digital camera and take LOTS of pictures when I am doing something I have not done before. Sometimes those pics can save you a lot of headache if you forget something or the manual doesnt explain very well. Lots of pics from a variety of angles. Good luck.

No experience with your bike, but make sure you get a Clymer manual and KEEP THE GEARS MESHED when you pull apart the tranny.

The problem is i cant find any clymer manuals for my 2008 KTM125SX

Get a manual. Also, I like to use a digital camera and take LOTS of pictures when I am doing something I have not done before. Sometimes those pics can save you a lot of headache if you forget something or the manual doesnt explain very well. Lots of pics from a variety of angles. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip and i have a manual it doesnt help at all the manual that comes with the bike is horrible.