Sign in to follow this  

xr-100 W/ 80 head

I have the head on the jug and the cam chain is too short W/ the 100 cam sprocket , and too long W/ the 80 sprocket.Has anyone done this ? W.T.F. ??

you can't swap cylinders between the two,well at least not without a a$$ ton of work. the xr 80 has 2 or 3mm shorter cylinder than the xr 100 and the oil passage is in a different location than that of a xr 100. so if you managed to get chain right your going to cook your top end. xr 80 runs a 28 tooth cam sprocket and 14 crank the 100 runs a 30 cam sprocket and 15 crank. you can interchange the heads but it is important to use the appropriate cam sprocket w/ whatever bottom end your using. so if you have a xr 100 bottom end and you wanna put a xr 80 head on it you HAVE to use the xr 100 cam gear.

I have a 94 XR80, and was told that the head from a 100 could be used on the 80. Is this true? The cam and cam bearings are destroyed in the original head.I did notice that where the head gasket meets the combustion chamber, there will be less contact area. I would appreciate any help.

I have a 94 XR80, and was told that the head from a 100 could be used on the 80. Is this true? The cam and cam bearings are destroyed in the original head.I did notice that where the head gasket meets the combustion chamber, there will be less contact area. I would appreciate any help.

You can swap XR100/80 heads no issue, just be sure to use the appropriate head gasket (if you've got an 80 cyl, use an 80 head gasket and so on). Clean up the carbon on the 100 head (undiluted pinesol, just poor it on and let it sit overnight and rinse off the excess).

It also wouldn't hurt to pull the right side engine cover (clutch cover) and clean out the oil screen, disassemble and inspect the oil pump.

Once you've got it bolted together (lots of fresh oil on the camshaft), remove the oil check bolt on the right side of the head (above and behind the spark plug hole) and kick the engine over (spark plug out) until you see oil present. If you don't get oil at the check hole, you've got problems.

Edited by theraymondguy