Sign in to follow this  

Iowa plate question.

Have any of you Iowa guys gotten your E or kick bike's plated? If so How did you do it, who do I need to contact?

I tried to get a TTR250 plated in 2009 and after several calls to officials at the state level in Des Moines I was told that no plates will be offered for a vehicle originally designated as an off road vehicle. Even if it was previously plated in another state.

So I bought a DRZ-S.

I would suggest finding a frame with a title.

Jake, The only way I know how to do this in Iowa (and I'm not joking here--I know a guy who did this by circumstance and dumb luck) is to move out of state to another with more lenient licensing laws (this guy moved to Colorado), plate the bike in that state, then move back to Iowa. The DOT accepts the licensed registration as street legal, and, voila! You're magic!

The guy I know did this with a Honda XR (it was either a 500 or 650). Better, he could then sell it in Iowa as a street legal machine.

Start packin' the van: "Honey, we're movin'!"

I tried to get a TTR250 plated in 2009 and after several calls to officials at the state level in Des Moines I was told that no plates will be offered for a vehicle originally designated as an off road vehicle. Even if it was previously plated in another state.

So I bought a DRZ-S.

I would suggest finding a frame with a title.

I have heard that and the exact opposite, I have been looking for a frame, but I really want that to be a last resort.

Jake, The only way I know how to do this in Iowa (and I'm not joking here--I know a guy who did this by circumstance and dumb luck) is to move out of state to another with more lenient licensing laws (this guy moved to Colorado), plate the bike in that state, then move back to Iowa. The DOT accepts the licensed registration as street legal, and, voila! You're magic!

The guy I know did this with a Honda XR (it was either a 500 or 650). Better, he could then sell it in Iowa as a street legal machine.

Start packin' the van: "Honey, we're movin'!"

I have been told that Missouri is the same way, and it does not have to be inspected. I have a buddy that lives down in ozark. Maybe I can "sell" the bike to him and pay him to do the transfer then buy it back. I was hoping Iowa would be the same way but no one could give me a straight answer, not even the dmv ppl.

Thanks for the help guys, i'm gonna give my buddy a call this week and find out.,