Sign in to follow this  

rm 125 help

i just bought a 2002 rm 125 its kinda rough.... i cleaned the carb and put a plug in it and got it running... it wont idle tho and there is slot of thick black oil around the exaust and the motor is covered in oilly grime.. i dont know alot alot it anyhelp would be nice

1. You just bought the bike ...and it is used ????

2. 125's are made to go full throttle to make any useful power.

3. You will need a trustworthy piston ....to go full throttle...or expect a expensive failure in the near future.

4. I would get some metric sockets...and open end wrenches...and a torque wrench.

5. Take off fuel tank...exhaust pipe....radiators need to come off also......then the cylinder head....then take off the exhaust power valve linkage.....then unbolt the cylinder...and take off.

6. Look at piston....see if burned , scarred , are rings still "free". Inspect cylinder walls for scratches,missing / flaking liner...etc.

7. Next ....check bottom end bearing for up/down play.......by rotating piston/ crank...by hand.....this will tell you if the bottom end is still usable.

8. If all looks well .....buy a new piston/ring/ gasket kit.....and clean everything up and re-assemble..

9. Crank up ....and have fun.

out

on the carb there is a small screw to adjust the idle. turn it all the way in then turn it back out till its running just enough. also what are you running gas ratio at? don't run thicker than 32:1. I've always ran 40:1 myself