Sign in to follow this  

Starter "Wet mod" question on venting ?

Well did some research on the "wet mod" ... evidently not enough though :bonk:

Anyways, based on the information I found, adding 2-4 oz of 5wt fork oil (or equivalent) to the starter gears seemed to be the ticket for most.

I added 70 mls or 2.3 oz.

However OF COURSE after doing the very basic mod, I researched there is a need for VENTING otherwise the gasket may blow due to build up of pressure.

So my questions:

1) Given the quantity I have added .. best to just add the vent ... what are others using ?? (ignition wire area)

OR

2) Is there a "safe quantity" of oil than can be used and still get the benefits WITHOUT the requirement for venting? In other words if I removed the cover and only added 45mls ... would that be enough to not worry about the gasket?

What have others done? How much oil did you use, and did you VENT ??

I did it on my 09 250 xc-w when I first got it and back then they were saying 4 oz so that's what I put in and I didn't vent it. Just opened it up to clean it out and re oil, no problems what so ever so I'm not sure the need to vent at all. I just put it back together and put in 2 ozs of oil which is the current recommendation.

DK

I used 2 oz of 5w fork oil and did do the vent mod. I'm not sure if there is an amount that you can use and not do the vent. I vented through the rubber grommet as recommended by Jeff Slavens. Check out the "electric starter ignition vent video" http://slavensracing.com/video/engine-videos

Its a great mod. My starter works much better with it.

Has anybody ever experienced a problem by NOT venting?

Seems 2 oz of oil could not build up that much pressure to require venting (as the original vent was for moisture build up)?

My guess is yes, I think it would build up enough pressure to blow the gasket even without any oil in it. You could always try it and the worst you will be out is a gasket.

Actually upon further thought I guess technically it could crack your case if your gasket built up a really good seal. I doubt it though as the wiring grommet really doesn't seal that well. Take my advice at your own risk:)

Has anybody ever experienced a problem by NOT venting?

Seems 2 oz of oil could not build up that much pressure to require venting (as the original vent was for moisture build up)?

I've been drama free since modding about a year ago with no vent. I used 20 mls of ATF.

IMO with 25-50 mls (approx 1-2oz) your pretty safe, its a pretty sizeable volume in there. Never had any leakage.

I did it on my 09 250 xc-w when I first got it and back then they were saying 4 oz so that's what I put in and I didn't vent it. Just opened it up to clean it out and re oil, no problems what so ever so I'm not sure the need to vent at all. I just put it back together and put in 2 ozs of oil which is the current recommendation.

DK

I have a buddy that does this way too with no problems.

It wont blow a gasket, it will just push the fluid up the wires and it will dribble down and make a mess.

Thats what happened to mine even with a vent.

I dropped the amount to 20mls and have not had a problem since.

Dave

I have never vented mine and have not had an issue.

How many cc's of oil did you use ??

Just debating now whether to just drain 30-40 CC's or do the vent.

How many cc's of oil did you use ??

Just debating now whether to just drain 30-40 CC's or do the vent.

I used the original 4oz. But Slaven has since changed that to 2oz. There is still 4oz in it with no issues. At used light weight fork oil.

I replied to this post a few months ago but have since changed my mind!

Initially I did NOT vent as I thought 25 mls of ATF would be OK.

However, it was a surprise to me to find that when my starter stopped working and I stripped it, it was full of oil! ATF must have worked its way down the starter splines and into the starter motor. I was always of the opinion this would not happen, wrong.

So I did the Slavens vent.

• Like 1

I replied to this post a few months ago but have since changed my mind!

Initially I did NOT vent as I thought 25 mls of ATF would be OK.

However, it was a surprise to me to find that when my starter stopped working and I stripped it, it was full of oil! ATF must have worked its way down the starter splines and into the starter motor. I was always of the opinion this would not happen, wrong.

So I did the Slavens vent.

I just got a 2015 KTM 300 XC, and I'm again researching the best way to fix the estarter.  Granted KTM beefed up the estarter I think in 2013, but I wanna do this nonetheless. 

I'll install the vent and add 2 oz of oil.

• Like 1

i vented mine when i did the wet mod.

then later ditched the wet mod and use grease instead.  but i like having the vent up high instead of under the cover, where water can migrate in.

as to the O.P question.  i think you should vent it.  but it sounds as if you don't want to take it back apart again to do it.  so run it, and vent it next time you take it apart.

I just got a 2015 KTM 300 XC, and I'm again researching the best way to fix the estarter.  Granted KTM beefed up the estarter I think in 2013, but I wanna do this nonetheless. 

I have 75+ hours on my 2014 and have not kicked the bike since I first brought it home.  All I did was clean up the starter gears and use some Bel Ray waterproof grease.  Not sure the wet mod is really needed on the newer e-starts.  I also have a high compression head.  Starts hot or stone cold with no hiccup.  I pulled the ignition cover around 60 hours and the grease I added still looked new.

I'll admit I did plan on doing the wet mod when I brought the bike home but I guess KTM finally sorted the system out with the 410W upgrade.  I was really expecting it to still be an issue, but glad it has worked flawless.

• Like 2

i vented mine when i did the wet mod.

then later ditched the wet mod and use grease instead. but i like having the vent up high instead of under the cover, where water can migrate in.

as to the O.P question. i think you should vent it. but it sounds as if you don't want to take it back apart again to do it. so run it, and vent it next time you take it apart.

What made you decide to go back to grease?

What made you decide to go back to grease?

got tired of dealing with the mess when taking it apart.  so i just started greasing everything good each time it was apart.  mine is an 09 so when the starter died i upgraded to the newer starter plus i had already put a high amp battery in and now i e-start it cold too. 

What's wrong with your e-starter? I have the same bike, e-start has worked flawlessly with the stock battery since day 1.  I pull holeshots in my races all the time with it.  The 2015 rubber coated aluminum ignition cover gasket seals the ignition, it seals the vent that was previously utilized on the bottom of the cover as well. I don't think the vent is necessary, i've ran a few ounces of 5w fork oil for the majority of the bikes life and have never ran into issues because of not having a vent.  Nothing seeps out of the rubber boot that seals the top electrical entrance.

got tired of dealing with the mess when taking it apart. so i just started greasing everything good each time it was apart. mine is an 09 so when the starter died i upgraded to the newer starter plus i had already put a high amp battery in and now i e-start it cold too.

Cool thanks for the info. I've been on the fence about doing the wet mod. I have a 13' and haven't had any issues with it yet but I was thinking it might be good to do it before I do have one. It sound like kind of a hassle though, I think just pulling it apart and re-greasing it periodically, like you said, sounds like a lot less work and will be every bit as effective. It's nice to hear somebody confirm that.

I actually ran my bike with the starter and all related parts removed for quit a wile (-14 lbs felt nice). During that time I did the head mod and I was really surprised at how much more compression it had over the stock head. I figured their was no way the e-start was going to turn it over with that head on it. But I read a few threads that said it would if the bike was warm. I decided I wanted to start running it again last spring for the single track season so I replaced the stock battery with a 14 amp Shorai when I put everything back on and haven't had any issues with it at all. Just like you mentioned. The added compression doesn't even phase it. It cranks that thing up instantly, even when it's cold.

• Like 2