Sign in to follow this  

05 kyb top stroke harshness

Hi guys, I just can't seem to get rid of the top of stroke harshness in these forks, they have the full dell taco treatment, including:

longer softer ics springs

single spring mid valve,

spi-3 inner spi-5 outer

spaced out the main springs

drilled the free piston etc

They basically have all the 05 problems fixed. Not saying the forks are bad they are awesome, the best handling most stable bike I have been on. I have another yz125 but its an 06, the thing doesn't seem near as stable or planted as the 05. I have tryed several different valving setups in the 06 and it always feels plush. The 05 however no matter what valving I put in it soft, hard etc it still has a slightly harsh edge to it, which I can't get rid of. The shock is plush however.

My question is what's so different about these 06 forks once the problems are fixed in the 05 that causes them to have that slight edge on plushness. My thoughts are the larger basevalve piston with larger ports? Maybe on high velocity hits the size of the ports are becoming a restriction and the load isn't on the shimistack?

Im at a loss as to why their like this, if I can get the same control with the plushness at the top of the stroke as the 06 I would be happy.

Hoping for a bit of a discussion in depth as to what causes the 06 to be that little bit plusher, not just go buy 06 forks. :smirk:

Edited by The Animal

I imagine that's the reason why kyb totally redesigned the 06 fork , I can't get the showa to feel like the kyb either , the showa can be good but never the same

These are fantastic don't get me wrong, i'd still rather ride these, they just don't have the edge on plushness. I'm just curious as to why, I can probably change anything I want as to pistons etc. I have the resources to do so, just bashing my head against the wall trying to figure out why they can't be as plush.

maybe that's why kyb went to the big base valve ? I don't know but it seems to me kyb went to a lot of expense to redesign that fork for 06 , so maybe they found as you did , it can be good but has limits , like the wp fork , that was hard to get great , I think you will chase your tail to find the answer , some designs are better than others , the big change is the base valve so I guess that's the reason ?

These are fantastic don't get me wrong, i'd still rather ride these, they just don't have the edge on plushness. I'm just curious as to why, I can probably change anything I want as to pistons etc. I have the resources to do so, just bashing my head against the wall trying to figure out why they can't be as plush.

Try disabling the TCV this has a viscous damping charateristics, which might be enhanced by the SPI non-newtonian fluid properties. Just a thought

Try disabling the TCV this has a viscous damping charateristics, which might be enhanced by the SPI non-newtonian fluid properties. Just a thought

The 125 doesn't have a TCV. Just thinking aloud here, not knocking daves oil, it's fantastic. Just wondering if I should try a thinner oil like 2.5w so it goes through the small ports in the piston easily and puts the load on the shimstack instead? thoughts? Don't know if the piston causes a restriction of flow on high velocity hits. Or what weight daves oil acts most like. It might be equivalant to a 2.5W when warmed up, thoughts?

I also have a YZ 125 05 and my bike has a TCV.

How do your stacks look like?

I think daves oil

is thick compared to a 2.5