Sign in to follow this  

electric start

hi guys

my 07 250 x wont start on the button she starts on the kickstart just fine, the valves are spot on , new 450x battery, she,ll start on jump leads fine, any ideas ?

im wondering if the starter motors on its way out sounds a bit slow ,ive checked all connections, help its doing my head in

ive done the usual mods jd kit, exhaust etc

thanks

Hi, I assume that you press the clutch lever before to attempt start the bike. If so it could be simple as a lose connection in the circuit to a problem in the start itself.

The starter (like the cars) has a solenoid to activate the motor. This solenoid is basically a relay witch handle the high current to the motor. When you press your start button (with the clutch lever ate the same time) this solenoid is energized and then it start the motor.

You an try to make a test by make a jumper cable form the positive of the terminal of the battery to this solenoid and see if it turns (warning: it could make a spike and it will try to start the engine without the clutch lever pressed, so be careful with it)

Good luck and post what append.

Did you check the fuse??

It is not the fuse that you see with the side plate off. The fuse you see is the spare.

The actual fuse in under the rubber boot plugged into the relay.

common cases for a no start is clutch switch dirty, Wires at steering stem broken or pinched.

If the fuse is blown check for broken wires at the tail light harness and steering stem.

good luck.

• Like 1

hi guys

thanks for the help went out on her today the bike started on the electric start when hot but only with choke on so i think she,s running lean

pretty sure ive got a 158m jet fitted

red needle in 5th notch as per jd s instructions 42 pilot jet shall i go to a 165 main jet ?

Edited by boney

The main jet circuit has nothing to do with starting. Try richening your fuel screw 1/4 turn and see how that affects it.

• Like 1

Troubleshooting:

Pull clutch in (some people on here said they didn't know they had to do this)

Check fuse

Check battery charge and or charge it (I had to charge my new one so it was 100%)

Turn your fuel screw out in 1/8th increments to richen (lefty richey, righty lighty.... :smirk:

Check plug and or replace

Check/clean air filter

If it starts w/ jumpers on the battery, it's not a fuse, jets, or the clutch safety switch. It needs more juice. Charge or replace the battery or check your connections (loose, dirty)

hi guys

thanks for the replies, yeh i havnt touched the main jet but put a bigger pilot jet in 45 and moved the needle down one notch 6th from top she starts with the electric start but still erratically ,weird ,i only need to breath on the kickstart now and she starts up batteries new and fully charged ,all connections checked and seem ok but will check the clutch side again

twin power filter with mesh screen removed

air box mod and standard exhaust with mesh removed and baffle drilled

maybe ive gone a bit rich now throttle response seems very crisp ill take her out at the weekend and have a look at the plug monday

any tips on cleaning and adjusting iridium plugs

cheers

Edited by boney