Sign in to follow this  

racetech

are the racetech components any good, opions and experiences wanted, thanks..

they often recommend changing the mid to a check plate , bad idea , on top of that of you did do that , it's not supplied in the kit ! how stupid I'd that after you spent good money ? then most find the valving they say is not great

Race Tech has some good products and good product support. I may not follow their exact valving recommendations but I've had some very good results with some of their products. Midvalve tuning is a subjective thing depending on how it is done. I see a number of guys here rely on it heavily. Not saying they don't get good results, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to valving affects. Race Tech products have been continually evolving. That's a good thing.

If you're doing it yourself, you'll learn much more with the Race Tech stuff than just boxing it up and sending it to someone.

I used Race tech stuff before in my sport bike, It worked much better than stock. The bike was a honda vtr 1000f so the forks suck stock. A piece of advice when/if you go race tech don't say your a expert level rider if your a intrmediate rider. When I did my forks I valved and sprung it fo a novice racer and that was wrong it was too stiff for the street. On the race track it was okay.

I've been trying to tune my Gold Valve forks for almost a year. I went the RT route so I could learn some stuff about suspension...which I have. but now, it's more like work. I've dug into my forks countless times pull one shim, next week add 2 more, change springs, change oil level, etc. for me, the initial RT settings they gave me (DVS) was too soft. Was great for single track, but sucked on whoops or any track. Since then I've been trying to go stiffer. Sometime a few months back I found out that, even though my springs were the right rate, I needed to go up one rate for the GV's. I tried to compensate by raising the oil level but it came out too harsh, so I got the springs. Now I'm basically starting from scratch with the new springs since I had to lighten up the valving and lower the oil level.

The more you try to make suspension work in a wider variety of terrain, the more of a compromise you'll end up with, whether you are using Gold Valves or not. Do you want it to workwell for tight single track or a moto track??

I've been trying to tune my Gold Valve forks for almost a year. I went the RT route so I could learn some stuff about suspension...which I have. but now, it's more like work. I've dug into my forks countless times pull one shim, next week add 2 more, change springs, change oil level, etc. for me, the initial RT settings they gave me (DVS) was too soft. Was great for single track, but sucked on whoops or any track. Since then I've been trying to go stiffer. Sometime a few months back I found out that, even though my springs were the right rate, I needed to go up one rate for the GV's. I tried to compensate by raising the oil level but it came out too harsh, so I got the springs. Now I'm basically starting from scratch with the new springs since I had to lighten up the valving and lower the oil level.

You are singing my song! Except I have spending big bucks with tuners. And still MUCH worse than when I started. Woe is me!

You are singing my song! Except I have spending big bucks with tuners. And still MUCH worse than when I started. Woe is me!

Well, I need to give the new springs a little more time. I also just changed out a few more things like the IC springs are back to stock and I want to at least try 3-4 single stage stacks. If I can't get it decent I'm going to bring all my crap to a tuner.

The more you try to make suspension work in a wider variety of terrain, the more of a compromise you'll end up with, whether you are using Gold Valves or not. Do you want it to workwell for tight single track or a moto track??

I was only referring to what terrain the forks would be good for with that initial setup. I know all about the compromise. The Gold Valves, IMO, are easy to tune if you're riding woods or single track. But it's hard to get them setup for track to handle braking bumps, etc. This is just my personal experience on a particular fork.

I've never been a fan of race tech. The problem with 3rd party aftermarket components is, not all tuners understand how to set them up properly. So you must go back to race tech for service OR risk someone else not setting them up right. The stock valves are usually good enough and only require some minor changes to make right. I have tried race tech several times, giving them the benefit of the doubt and never been happy. What guys like Factory Connection do is quite the opposite, they make the stock valving work properly, its that simple. This way, anyone can "re tune" your suspension because they ARE simply the stock components that have been tweaked slightly.

Tye That's just what I say. I have tried 7 or 8 of the suspension guys, that cost my riders a lot of missed races, lost points and a lot of money for me. I had to go so far as to put a steering dampener on one of the 125s. Hard to do a whip with a dampener on.

Everyone had the same story ...." I know a guy....

I tried most all in suspension tuners Michigan.

I finally called Factory Connection, told them my problems, they told me send it in, we can make it correct.

I sent them the CR125 suspension first because the bike was useless to race with a steering dampener, not to mention the fact it was all set up wrong by one of the local suspension guys.

I made it real clear that they would give me my money back if things did not work properly. (none of the other suspension guys would return my money).

They told me "NO problem" so I sent the suspension in, got it back, put it on, sold the steering dampener on eBay and am still using that bike years later for woods bike.

The next week I sent in two YZ 250 suspensions, one was the old style , a 05 I think, the other one was a newer bike with the duel chamber forks.

When I got them back they were set up just as I asked, the clickers even worked like a clicker should. I was amazed to how they got things spot on first try. I never ever had to move that clicker from F.C. original settings..I tried but they had it spot on so I always went back to the original setting. I have since sent them suspensions from 9 or 10 bikes, all came back perfect (one bike I did go one click harder on the front depending on the track).

Rest of the story.....Last year I was at BajaAcres on a Sunday practice day. New forks from FC were not right, I called FC on a Sunday and talked to a tech for about an hour while I changed things around. This guy was realy concerned, when head bearings were mentioned I told him that I just put on a brand new Yamaha triple tree (top or bottom I don't remember) that I had (one of my old spares) he told me that it sounded to him like it was the wrong size, in 06 or 07 I think he said, Yamaha went 1 or 2 mm wider on the triple tree, not enough to see, and the forks will slide right in. I got home and measured and he was correct. Either it was the top or bottom that was wider. ( I forget which) I called to tell them that "I" had screwed up, they said even 2mm can do damage and send the forks back in, so I did, they completely rebuilt the forks and paid for shipping back to me, charged me nothing !

I called and asked them about payment, they said beings they ask me to send the forks in, it was their bill even though it was my fault.

They did not want to take a chance on the FC suspension not being perfect.

They even send you a big free box with bubble wrap for forks and shocks if you ask, they pay for the box, the shipping.

Why the h*ll did someone not tell me about FC $10,000 dollars and five years before I tried the local guys ?

I hope to save someone some money here by telling this story.

MX cost's enough as it is.

Oldguy

thanks guys, im going with FC, local shop going to send it in for me, about 900 buck for springs and revalve with labor and shipping, im happy with that..