Sign in to follow this  

1986 LT80 WONT START. GETS SPARK. GETS GAS.

Ok, so I purchased an older LT80 2 stroke. I put a battery in it and it tries to start. It seems to spit gas out of the carburator and I was thinking the exhaust could be clogged. I took the exhaust off and it spits gas out of the carburator and the exhaust port.. It still will not start. ??????? It gets good spark.

How is the compression? If you have good compression, a well timed spark, wet plug that is getting gas.... it should atleast fire. with low compression it will not start well. If you have a big hill try and bump start it...with a new plug if you have fouled the current one with all the gas. bump starting it will get the piston moving faster than kick starting it. that will give the rings less time to bleed off the compression and hopefully that gives you enough to fire...if it is compression related. Probably best just to test the compression.

Put a new plug in just because. Test your compression. If you have plenty of gas and spark then it should atleast be poppin or running poorly. :smirk:

Edited by RhinofromWA

those quads had a retarded vacuum petcock that when bad, leaked fuel into the cases to the point of hydro-lock. an inline on/off lever helped. if the stock petcock is bad, it slowly leaks fuel into cases. take out plug, use electric starter to pump out excess. install new shut off, new plug and it should fire.

Edited by ickfinger

those quads had a retarded vacuum petcock that when bad, leaked fuel into the cases to the point of hydro-lock. an inline on/off lever helped. if the stock petcock is bad, it slowly leaks fuel into cases. take out plug, use electric starter to pump out excess. install new shut off, new plug and it should fire

second that. Just make sure you have the plug wire covered before you spin it over to blow the gas out. I wasnt thinking when I did this and started a fire in my garage, fortunately I had a fire extinguisher nearby.