Parts for XR250 Model 1980, ticking noise from head

I found on our lease property a XR250 Model 80 in the barn. Regarding to the land lord this thing is sitting since 1982, he traded it in and never looked to it....., cleaned it, got new gas is it and fired it up, run's and has good power, but there is a real hard ticking sound from the head, adjusted valves twice, but no change in sound ! Somebody an idea ? Broken valve spring ????? Where can I get parts like valve springs and the insulator ( piece between head and carb ) for this bike ??? As well other parts as I want to get it back on the road, have all papers for this XR. Thanks Willi

These engines were kinda sensitive to lack of oil to the top end. If it was run hard with low or very dirty oil, it may have eaten a cam lobe or possibly galled up the cam bearing surfaces. The cam rides directly on the head material in these engines.

Have you adjusted the cam chain? They were adjustable on the '79 to I believe, '81. The later ones were auto-adjust.

As far as parts--ebay is your friend. I know Megacycle Cams builds performance valve springs for this engine but I don't know where you would find new stock springs.

• Like 1

Thank you for the tip, did a complete tune up from scratch, oh my god was everything off and loose, guess there was no tune up done at all, pulled also valve/cam cover, camshaft looks good, somebody was in there before and stripped some of the threads of the cover bolts, so have to put some heli coils in, not a big deal. Wanted to take the bike anyhow total in parts to rebuild and paint...... wanted to know first if it is worth the work, so engine had to run first. Will be fun to ride, got my motocycle licens in the year 80, so will be a celebration bike !