Sign in to follow this  

LED lighting. What light provides better light for the human eye to see with?

I do not know anything about lighting so I am looking for a little knowledge in this arena. I am thinking of using it both as my

bicycle and motorcycle light.

I assume the bulb along with the other electronics is important?

Is Cree the best in LED lighting? Cree has different products but I have no idea what it all means.

What do I need to know and where is the best place for me to learn enough to

make the right educated decision when buying a LED headlamp, bar mount LED or maybe a direct mount or replacement to run

off of the motorcycles electrical system?

I like the Dinotte XML-3 because it is made in the USA and seems to use the latest LED technology and is also a seemingly good price.

Durability is also VERY important along with customer service.

What should I know?

http://store.dinottelighting.com/dinotte-xml-3-headlight-p174.aspx

http://reviews.mtbr.com/dinotte-xml-3-2012-mtbr-lights-shootout

Thank you.

Yes Cree is the leader in making the LEDs. However, that is all they make. The enclosure, optics, and driving electronics are made by someone else. You can think of the Cree LED kind of like the lightbulb. By itself it's not all that useful.

Are you looking for something battery powered like a bicycle light or something to run off the bike?

Yes Cree is the leader in making the LEDs. However, that is all they make. The enclosure, optics, and driving electronics are made by someone else. You can think of the Cree LED kind of like the lightbulb. By itself it's not all that useful.

Are you looking for something battery powered like a bicycle light or something to run off the bike?

What ever is cost effective and may run off my KTM 300XC charging system.

i get the impression the charging system may be too weak for a good light and the motorcycle mounted lights seem to behind the mountain bike lights in tech. and more expensive.

i like the idea of light weight and durable.

It may be nice to have all the weight and wires on the moto and not running off of me.

I am wondering if the light on my helmet may be the best way to go in order to keep it farther away from all the flinging mud. I have seen the motorcycle lights be very occluded by mud on the lens, I assume because they are low and in the path of flying dirt/mud.

The MTB light is nice because I may be able to transfer easily from bicycle to moto and decrease my cost.

I have read that the human eye sees better in certain electro magnetic spectrum and wave length. So my question is do some LED lights put out better or worse light for my eye to see with? As the electronics or bulbs age does these factors change and is there a better way to go either of brand model, etc.

I am a idiot when it comes to this stuff.

I'm big into multiple lights. It really sucks when you only have one and it goes out for some reason. Guess how I know. :smirk:

You absolutely want a helmet light. It works really well as it points where you are looking. Sometimes the light on the bike is not pointing the right direction.

The LED's are actually blue and have phosphors on the top that converts the blue to more useful colors. You are correct about the sensivity of the eye. It varies by nearly a factor of ten between the max sensitivity in the middle of the spectrum (green) vs the ends of red and blue. While the LEDs are a science, the phosphors are not. They basically make a batch and then grade each LED. They group them into about 20 groups or "bins" based on the exact color of light that they make. Some of the bins are a lot better than others for a light. There is also the max light vs the best color. The brightest tend to have a blue cool light. Most light makers do not specify which color bin that they use.

About the least expensive I've seen are some bike powered lights that are a 10 or so watt single LED making 800-900 lumens and costing a bit over $100.

I'm not too sure about the electrical system on your bike but LEDs need DC power. You may need to add a regulator or make other mods to your bikes electrical system.

For low cost it's hard to beat a HID retrofit to standard type motorcycle headlight. I was able to do this on my bike for under $100 and it makes 3000 lumens.