Sign in to follow this  

Remove new crank bearings

I have to have my cases machined to clear the rod on a stroker crank. The cases, crank bearings and seals are brand new. Is there a way to take them off without damaging them so I can reuse them? I need to get this done by the end of the week end so going to the machine shop or buying a special tool is out of the question.

I tried the trick of heating the cases and hitting them on a flat wooden surface but nothing moves.

Thanks.

I install/remove most bearings with threaded rod, nuts, washers, sockets and/ or blocks, etc. It definitely works for main bearings...

I'll give that a try. I don't think I can push on the outer race though. And how would you take off the seal without damaging it?

I just took out the seals and there's no way to access the outer race from behind, so pressing them out is out of the question.

I'll try my method again and flash freeze the bearings as shown in this video:

If you press them out spend the 60.00 and get new bearings and seals. Its not worth it to have it fail and wreck other stuff.

I don't mind spending the money if I have to, but I wanted to know if there was a way to save them before ordering new ones. It's not a matter of cash, but more the fact that I hate to waste perfectly good stuff.

if your talking bearing in the case why not just duct tape over them. You could also put a flat on the rod if it's not too much?

I don't mind spending the money if I have to, but I wanted to know if there was a way to save them before ordering new ones. It's not a matter of cash, but more the fact that I hate to waste perfectly good stuff.

I'm totally the same way. But when you press the crank out and press the bearings out it puts a lot of force on the inner race which can damage the bearing. The Yamaha manual says not to reuse them.

if your talking bearing in the case why not just duct tape over them. You could also put a flat on the rod if it's not too much?

The main bearings are the only ones that are gonna be taken off so the machinist can center his boring machine (sorry, not familiar with the english machining terms)

I'm totally the same way. But when you press the crank out and press the bearings out it puts a lot of force on the inner race which can damage the bearing. The Yamaha manual says not to reuse them.

You are totally right. That's why I was looking for an alternative to literally "pressing" them out. If I have to go that route, I will replace them.

Edited by Sheriff245

I had some welding done on my cases and the welder said the bearing near the hole may fall out from the heat. It didn't fall out. But its possible to heat the case enough that the bearing will fall out. Heating up that much maybe bad as well. Maybe someone will have the answer. Just the force of pressing the crank out will probably not be good for the bearing.