Sign in to follow this  

Electrical help?

I am thoroughly confused with my Big Bears electrical system. When I bench test my starter, it works perfectly, put it on the bike........nothing except power to ground. When I used an ohm meter with the leads on the starter lead and to ground, it reads .001 ohms. I assumed that it was bad. Got another starter, identical results. Now I am reading voltage to ground on the frame? I am at my wits end, any help will be greatly appreciated. It is a 1988 Yamaha big bear 350 4x4.

when you say you have power to ground and voltage to ground on the frame what do you mean? do you have sparks flying? is the battery hooked up backwards?

I have 12volts on the frame. No sparks, blown fuses or anything that you would expect from it. I clipped the wire to the neutral switch and it went away, which confuses me all the more, cause it just goes to ground?

Just a little background on the issue, I was wiring up a winch (used) on the quad. I did not check prior to installation, but the solenoid had a dead short and when I hooked up the 4AWG wire from the battery to the solenoid, I smoked several components. Ignition coil, CDI unit and reverse relay.

I unhooked everything from the wiring harness except for the battery and reverse switch and still had 12v to ground, clipped the wire to the switch, 12v to frame gone. Hooked everything back up minus the reverse switch and all is well? The reverse switch just provides the ground if I am not mistaken, now I am even more confused! Still no spark, but waiting on parts. Since Iam not getting much feedback on the issue, I will try and document what I find to possibly help someone in the future.

A little advice for anyone with a freakish electrical problem......CHECK YOUR GROUNDS!!!!!!! Brand new ground cable......crappy connection. 12v to ground can actually be a voltage drop due to a bad ground!

Finally got to work on the quad again. I have defeated all of the relays, and have everything working except no sparky. Got it narrowed down to either the pulser coil or the CDI. Gonna check the coil today and hopefully have a good diagnosis. Bought a used CDI for a 92 model cheap, but it is not compatible with the 88!

Well, I threw some more money at the issue to no re resolve. So far, I have changed the wiring harness,relays, Ignition coil, CDI unit and still have no spark. I have ohmed out the pulser and source coil (good).

Edited by uneasy_rider

I have read on multiple sites (not this one, nobody replies) that ohm values alone are not a good indicator as to whether the pulsar coils are good. Has anyone here dealt with that issue before? If so, how did you determine that they were good/faulty?

Ok so I have had electrical gremlins too on a trail 9090 not the same bike but regardless I had no spark and couldn't figure out why well the sparkplug connection wasn't firm on and I burrnned out my coil maybe that helps

Glad that you got it worked out. Electrical gremlins can drive you insane!