Sign in to follow this  

Just closed the cases up now wont shift thru gears

So im overhauling a 01 kx250 its my first time doing a bottom end, today i went to the shop and got some gasket maker and the master tech told me a good rule of thumb is to put the gear shifter on (after the cases are sealed back) and just make sure it will go thru the gears.. it doesnt it is going thru some of the gears and clicks right in others it acts like it isnt going all the way in gear while im watching it on the clutch side??

anyone ever have this problem? could it be shift shaft assy isnt on right? i am kind of at a loss here so any help wouldbe great! :smirk:

try turning (cranking) the engine over by hand or rocking it back and forth while shifting. sometimes the gears wont engage until the engine is turning over. you can do it by turning the flywheel or clutch assembly.

Until the shifter is on the shift shaft can slide off the mechanism inside the motor (the shifer keeps it from doing this). It can easly happen when you roll it up on its side to put in the right side bolts...ask me how I know.

ive tried turing the countershaft and the clutch and the crank but it still isnt shifting thru it stops like half way thru like the pic shows does anyhing look wrong here?

The parts seem to be there and in the proper place. If you turn the input shaft while shifting gears the tranny should shift through the gears, both up and down. Without oil in the tranny some of the stuff won’t slide back and forth very well, but it should move into place.

Post in the Kawasaki 2 stoke section and see if you can get the attention of some mechanical guys.