Sign in to follow this  

Hey all.

Hey, my name is Mike and I'm from Southern California. This is my maiden voyage into two-wheeled transportation/fun but not into the offroad world. I have a 2000 Tacoma that is becoming quite a respectable wheeler and I have some spare parts (springs and crap) lying around if anyone is looking for something for their other hobby... Well as I said, I really don't know much about bikes as of yet, but I'd appreciate any tips/tricks/things to look for. I don't have a bike right now but I've settled on the idea of a dual sport (street legal and able to have fun off road, that's a two-fer!). I'm 21 (young and the bones still bend a bit before they snap) and 6' 160lbs. If anyone has any bike reccommendations or any bikes laying around that would suit me, please don't hesitate to tell me. And I think that's all. Hope to someday soon go out and ride with some of the CA guys.

Lots of good options out there, plenty of good dual sports, for your size you can google and see the specs on any of these bikes, they should all fit you

KLX250S

WR250R

CRF230L

DRZ400S

XT225

XT250

TE250

TE310

TE450

TE510

Search dual sport, plated, street legal on craigslist, and lots of things will pop up.

Thanks for the reply! I did a ton of Craigslist-ing last night and came up with quite a few results. Since I am new to this world, I have a few questions for anyone who can answer them. How old is too old of a bike for the beginner? And what are some maintenance type of things to look for when I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one? Thank you again.

I dont really like to get really old bikes, the thing about craigslist, is that you either see bikes with 10 thousand + miles, or the same year bike with only 1 thousand miles, some are actuall commuter bikes that get used all the time, the other are ''fun'' weekend bikes, look for those low miles hardly used , brand new looking 3 year old bike.

once you narrow down your choice, then post that up, so people that know about that specific model, will know what to look for.

air cooled ones are easier to maintain, just change oil, keep air filter clean, gas up and go.

water cooled engines require more maintainance, but produce more power, you just need to sit on a few of them, and then you can start narrowing it down.

One of the big questions is is what kind of riding are you going to do more of? off road or on road? because if it's only gonna be on road for getting to some trails then i would look for a more off road oriented bike. my buddy has a an '95 xr250, i think its one meant more for street buy its great off road. But from what i see on this forum the drz400's seem to be very popular. But like i said you gotta ask your self what your going to be doing more of because then you could look into getting a wr450 (kissing cousin to the yzf450) for more off road or something along those lines.