Sign in to follow this  

What is good to drink after a race to get energy back faster?

when I ride a hare scramble race or a two and a half hour desert ride after I load up my bike and cool down my body is drained of all its energy. Is there any tip on what to drink like Muscle Milk or protein shake to not feel so drained? I usually always drink Gatorade and eat a candy bar after a ride that helps. any tips would be appreciated.

I usually do a gatorade followed by a protein shake.I have a couple racer friend's who swear by chocolate milk.If i wrecked i will have a couple Excedrin,the caffine in it seem's to perk me up for the drive home.The only thing that really help's me is a good night's sleep.

I like to drink myoplex protein shakes after riding. They're pretty filling and they don't taste bad either. I usually chase them with a water.

Vitamin water, Don't be wasting money on these crappy energy drinks that will eventually do more harm than good to your body

Either chocolate milk or Cytomax. What you want is the right ratio of protein/carbs and these two drinks have it. Milk is cheaper, and Cytomax has a formula that's more easily absorbed by the body.

I go with Beer. However, when my kids go to wrestling meets they always bring Ensure shakes. They say they taste great and they are high in protein. I have always wanted to try one but I haven't run out of beer yet.

• Like 1

Not sure what could help you immediately recover but the night between practice and race day drinking pedialyte helps a lot.

water, gatorade, powerade, nothing with alot of sugar or caffeine it will just make you crash later. try monster rehab, its got 6 grams of sugar per can. its a mix of iced tea, lemonade and a bunch of energy stuff and its not carbonated

My old weightlifting coach in high school (who's entire life is weight lifting and sports training and knows his stuff) swore by chocolate milk after a hard work out. Says its got protein and a lot of sugars your body needs to recover. Protein shakes would be good idea too, but whenever someone asked him about them he said chocolate milk because your body couldn't absorb half of whats actually in the protein shake because there's so much of it in it. But for immediate recovery idk, seems like for me that protein and a big meal with lots of water do wonders for me after a hard day of riding. Gotta replace those calories!!!!

I've been a fitness trainer for 25 years. There's a few things you need to know; one, your body absorbs nutrients at an accelerated rate for the first hour after vigorous exercise. This means that it is important to get SOMETHING into your body as soon as you are finished. A Snickers bar and a soda are better than nothing (Also better than just water) but of course you want to do better than that. Chocolate milk and beer are also not bad because they give you some carbs and protein but if you really want to optimize post-workout recovery you need a good ratio of carbs, protein and yes, fat too. This can be accomplished with food but most people are looking for something more simple, that why recovery drinks exist. There are several out there but there is only one that does not use any simple sugars, artificial flavors, colors, etc. and it is called Recoverite and sold by Hammer Nutrition. I used to be an Ironman Triathlete and have found nothing better.

Recoverite supplies your body with the proper 3:1 ratio of complex carbohydrates and the highest quality whey protein isolate, along with generous amounts of multi-beneficial glutamine (a whopping 3 grams per serving!), the potent antioxidant l-carnosine, and a full-spectrum electrolyte profile. The result is rapid and enhanced recovery, which allows you to obtain the maximum value from all your hard workouts, ideally prepping your body for your next workout or race.

http://www.hammernut...navcat=recovery

Edited by freds4