Sign in to follow this  

450 break- in

Ride it like you stole it!!

Edited by GTXR

you will get about zillion of people telling you their proper way. you can google it. for me i do just like above but i do couple heat cycles before and let her rip.

I Just Took It Easy For The First Tank Full Of Gas On Mine. Then Rode It Normal After That.

Ride it moderately hard for an hour. Then, change the oil.

I start mine n run for 3 to 5 min with a fan blowing throught the radiators. Let cool completly. Putt around for 10 min & then do several 1/2 throttle accelarations from low rpm to mid rpm,let cool again.Putt once again & do servral 3/4 to full throttle short runs from low to upper rpm but not to close to redline.Let cool. Now several short full throttle runs from low rpm to close to redline. Change oil & filter & ride normally. Its worked for me for 30 years.

Decelleration!

Warm it up with no throttle till tops of radiators are hot.

Ride it HARD in short bursts, using lots of decompression, to seat the rings.

Ride for 15 minutes, let cool down completely. Repeat 3 times, and change the oil.

Just go 3/4 race speed. No panic revs or bouncing off the rev limiter. Let it cool and go over everything with a sharp eye and your T-handles. Be sure to really check your spokes and sprocket bolts. Do this a couple times and then change the oil and filter. Make sure you look closely in the oil filter housing for chunks of sealant or gasket material. I think that will do more damage than worrying too much about your break-in. I ever really had the patience to do a by the book break-in and never had a catastrphic failure.