Sign in to follow this  

New DRZ400S is LOUD. Help?

Hello!

New DRZ owner here, recent convert from my NInja 650R. Earlier today, I picked up a 2003 DRZ400S with some mods. Larger gas tank, skid plate, new plastic, a few other things, and a full exhaust Muzzy.

It's supposed to be great, right? Super light, titanium, extra engine power.. but it's LOUD. Like, "putting straight pipe Harleys to shame" loud.

What can/should I do to quiet it down? I got the stock exhaust with the bike, so I can always swap that back on, but it seems like a shame to effectively throw a $600+ part that also reduces the weight.

Any advice is appreciated. I'd prefer not to wake up my neighbors every time I start my bike, though.

Edited by Zomgie

If it's too loud, put the stock exhaust on, and sell the Muzzy.

Easy.

I've heard about a "quiet core" for the Muzzy. If I install one of these and quiet it down a bit (assuming that's feasible to change?), would there be any benefit over the stock setup? Basically, I'd like a quieter bike but I hate the idea of "downgrading", if that's the case.

Even with the spark arrestor and insert it should still be better over stock as the header pipe is very restrictive on these bikes except for the e model. Looking at the muzzy site it looks like you can remove the end cap and install an insert but might want to email them to confirm. From the muzzy site.

"At 3750 RPM, with the spark arrestor screen and our quiet core installed, the Muzzy pipe yielded a sound level of a very quiet

Our own tests, conducted at a slightly higher 4000 rpm yielded 94-95 db with the quiet core and spark screen, 97 db with the spark arrestor screen alone, and 100-101 with the “open” muffler."

These results put the Muzzy exhaust with the quiet core and spark arrestor well under the (Jan 1,2003) California off –road sound limit of 96 db (when tested in the same manner)."

As Craig suggested I would just get ear plugs and keep it loud. Unless your leaving for work in the early hours of the morning noise, no one can really complain about it IMO (except for the popo).

http://www.muzzys.com/

Edited by Romie

Craig do you think corking it up would affect it so much that the stock pipe would be better?

I doubt you will be happy if you install the stock pipe, plus you will have to go in and re-jet immediately if the bike has been set up for the Muzzy. It would be interesting to see how loud that pipe actually is. I am running an FMF Q2 with an FMF header, and IMO it is a bit too quite. But...Q2 was on the bike when I bought it, so I added the power bomb.

If you decide to sell your Muzzy PM me. I've never looked into those on the DRZ, but I've had plenty of their products over the years.

Take care-

Busa

Speaking for myself, I detest the noise of loud exhausts. It is a nuisance, do your neighbors a favor and cork it! Here in NJ, a loud exhaust is a good way to get the police out on you and your favorite illegal riding spot.

REPACK

Someone prob took out the packing from the exhaust for the loudest sound. Get the raw stuff and repack the sides of the muffler. It should be a straight shot down the exhaust with packing around the sides.

+1 on the repack. I have the SS full Muzzy on my SM, along with the quiet insert. To my ears, the insert doesn't make that much difference in the sound... I does pull a bit better without it, though. My first ride without the insert was the first time I ever hit the rev limiter. :smirk:

Speaking for myself, I detest the noise of loud exhausts. It is a nuisance, do your neighbors a favor and cork it! Here in NJ, a loud exhaust is a good way to get the police out on you and your favorite illegal riding spot.

YEAH, WHAT HE SAID!!! Loud bikes are just plain obnoxious and do more harm to how people feel about motorcyclists.

It is sad to have a performance pipe and then stick a cork in it...It's like heading in the opposite direction...

Unfortunately you need to make some noise with a DRZ to achieve performance gains..

I am not a conformist who particularly cares for what opinions other road users have for my ride..

The Z is my piece of freedom and will mod it as I choose...

Edited by craigodrz400sm
  • Like 1

You realise that having a loud pipe just makes people hate motorcyclists even more and is the reason we are loosing places to ride?

Not considerate of people that do ride and people that dont. Stop being so selfish.

If you read what I said, you will see that I am talking about on road....I hardly think we will lose places to ride...

If your riding off road ,close to houses, with a loud exhaust ,you deserve what you get from the law..

Man I don't see how me having a loud exhaust is not showing consideration for other road users...

and Selfish???..Sorry if that is being confused with freedom of choice...

Edited by craigodrz400sm
  • Like 1