Sign in to follow this  

05 450x accessory pwr - relayed

Hi guy, I am tring to hook up a relay, so when the bike is running it trips the relay and allow full battery power to run accessories like horn or vapor or what ever, and when the bike is off no power to these things.

I have set the relay (4 pin) up so its wired right. It will switch and feed power when i touch the trigger pin to the positive post of the battery. So that tells me that part of the wiring is good. But the problem is trying to find a live wire when bike is running to tap into. I though I could just tap into the blue head light wire but it doesn't seem to have enough juice to trip the relay.

anyone have any ideas? worst case I could just use a on/off switch wired right to the battery and just give up the relay idea.

Go to the positive lead of the LED taillight which is a polarity sensitive direct current device. The head lamp is run off of alternating current.

Thanks, I had the same thought as I laid in bed last night, I'll give it a try and report back. Stupid AC headlight....

Go to the positive lead of the LED taillight which is a polarity sensitive direct current device. The head lamp is run off of alternating current.

Use the gray tail light wire as the ground for your relay. The gray wire is grounded only while the engine is running. The black tail light wire is positive and powered at all times and wouldn't serve your purpose.

Thank you, worked awesome, hooked the grey taillight wire to ground, and the black to positive on the relay switch (86 and 86 on the relay). Now my accessories stay off when the bike is off and on when the bike is on, no bothering with a on off switch.

Use the gray tail light wire as the ground for your relay. The gray wire is grounded only while the engine is running. The black tail light wire is positive and powered at all times and wouldn't serve your purpose.