Sign in to follow this  

2012 Kawasaki kx250f vs 2012 Honda crf250r

Right now I have a 2011 Kawasaki klx250s and I am going to get either a Honda or a Kawasaki 250 four stroke and I was wondering how much of a power difference there is between the bike I have and the two bikes I am considering. Just in case this matters I am a six foot 170 lbs 14 yr old boy.

im goin through the same situation on which bike to get ive test ridden both of them from what i can tell the kawi motor make more power than the honda but only 1 more hp the honda is lighter and feels more nible to me and im bout the same size as u except im 6'4 180. i feel like the honda has a better ridding postion. u dont feel like u have to reach for anything and its really comfy. just go to your local dealer and take a seat on them and see how it feels

I could not find the horsepower on the spec sheet for the KLX, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is a big different in the power of the KLX and the KX young man. I rode trail bikes as a kid, I owned a KX 125 and I now own a 2011 KX250f. Just imagine trying to take your KLX and jump an 80 foot double. Probably the suspension difference would kill you more than anything else, but the bikes you are looking at are built to build a lot of speed in a very short amount of distance. Even if they are the same horsepower, the character of the power delivery will blow you away in what is called the powerband. I am answering this assuming you do not know too much about the difference between a trail and motocross bike considering the question you are asking. I suggest you ride one before you buy one. A motocross bike will get up and leave you quickly. It's like going from a Cadillac sedan to a formula one car. One is built for luxury and the other to race. On the other hand if you already know this...then stupid me.

Edited by Jarrad

These are just numbers for an example - The KXf will go from 0 to 30mph in a couple seconds….. The KLX will take 4 seconds…. The KXf will top out at 45mph, the KLX will top out at 55mph….

The KXf will be quicker, but the KLR faster. In a longer drag race, the KXf will leave the line first, take the lead for a few meters, then the KLX will pick up speed and pass the KXf for the win. Get the idea?

There are other differences between the types of bikes. You are asking for a comparison of a general off road trail bike to a full blown race motocross bike?

The difference is not so much about power, but about purpose. You will be buying a bike that is made for a different purpose, or type, of riding. The power band of the bike will be different than the one you now ride..

These are just numbers for an example - The KXf will go from 0 to 30mph in a couple seconds….. The KLX will take 4 seconds…. The KXf will top out at 45mph, the KLX will top out at 55mph….

The KXf will be quicker, but the KLR faster. In a longer drag race, the KXf will leave the line first, take the lead for a few meters, then the KLX will pick up speed and pass the KXf for the win. Get the idea?

There are other differences between the types of bikes. You are asking for a comparison of a general off road trail bike to a full blown race motocross bike?

The difference is not so much about power, but about purpose. You will be buying a bike that is made for a different purpose, or type, of riding. The power band of the bike will be different than the one you now ride..

That KLX must be really under powered because my KLX will do about 80 on a gravel road or a section line.

I could not find the horsepower on the spec sheet for the KLX, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is a big different in the power of the KLX and the KX young man. I rode trail bikes as a kid, I owned a KX 125 and I now own a 2011 KX250f. Just imagine trying to take your KLX and jump an 80 foot double. Probably the suspension difference would kill you more than anything else, but the bikes you are looking at are built to build a lot of speed in a very short amount of distance. Even if they are the same horsepower, the character of the power delivery will blow you away in what is called the powerband. I am answering this assuming you do not know too much about the difference between a trail and motocross bike considering the question you are asking. I suggest you ride one before you buy one. A motocross bike will get up and leave you quickly. It's like going from a Cadillac sedan to a formula one car. One is built for luxury and the other to race. On the other hand if you already know this...then stupid me.

I know the differences with the type of riding this bike is designed for, I had a 2004 CRF250r before but the valves always went out, so I traded it for the KLX and it is a little heavy for what I do so I am going to get one of these bikes. I do a lot of jumping roads, and I made some of my own jumps when I had the 250r but ever since I got the KLX I haven't been able to jump as much because of the weight. The type of trail riding I do is a lot of throwing the bike around and getting up to about 30-40 really fast and then slowing for the turns.

If you've ridden a CRF before, you should already have a good idea on the power difference. You asked the power difference between a KLX and CRF/KXF correct? If you liked the CRF, you'll like it again. You can get a CRF250X which is a trail version of the CRF250R, but as I understand it the X is just an R with a kickstand. If aren't satisfied with the explanations for the power difference between the trail bike and the motocross bike, I don't know if you can be satisfied. They are kind of not comparable past what has been said. I ride my 2011 KX250f in the woods sometimes and it is a blast. You have to learn how to work the clutch, but its fun and it sounds like you can handle it. Sounds like you already know what you want.

The KXF and CRF are both good bikes. So sit on both of them and see which one feels better. The KX will have a little harder hit. The CRF has a very narrow frame and some say turns very linearly. The KXF you kind of steer with the back wheel by hitting the throttle to bring the back end around. I could see how the chassis of the KXF might not be the best for extreme trials such as rocks etc because it is on the larger side and has an unruly back end you may not always want to be riding in tight situations.

I don't know if you have thought about it, but KTM is very popular with trail riders. They are the only bikes with a steel frame which flexes more than the aluminum frames on the CRF/KXF. KTM offers more bike options than any other manufactuer. The have the four strokes 250/450. They have two strokes 125/150/250. And that's only the motocross bikes. I'm not familiar with the trail bikes, but you might at least want to check them out if you aren't hip to them already before you make a decision. I do know the KTM four strokes are heavier than all the other bikes mostly because of the electric start.

Edited by Jarrad