Sign in to follow this  

2008 trail bike upgrades

Trying to get a bit quicker turning, I added Ride Engineering 20mm clamps, and took a link out of the chain, pushing the front wheel forward over one inch.

Bead blasted the green anodizing off of the RE clamps, added an old Scotts damper using BRP submount clamps. Trying Woods style bars; a bit lower, a bit more sweep.

Unfortunately, the new clamps restrict turning by at least 10degrees+ in both directions....that part really sucks, and will require me to remove them and machine the stops for more turning radius.....eventually.

I ride it all today, and look forward to the results. Pavement testing resulted in a front wheel that lifts easier, and a tighter cockpit, for sure.IMG_0912.jpgIMG_0914.jpgIMG_0911.jpg

Could you tell much of a difference with that shorter wheel base when climbing steep hills?

Could you tell much of a difference with that shorter wheel base when climbing steep hills?

Yes, immediately. Harder to keep the front end down. I sit very far forward if sitting down up hills, and put all my weight on the pegs, and it works great. The bike will now change lines in a corner, however you please. Very helpful when going into a new corner that has multiple rut lines, or washed out edge. The change to the 20mm clamps and the Woods High bars also made the bars much less difficult to hold on to comfortably.