Sign in to follow this  

drz400 multiple issues please read!

so yesterday my drz400 bogged out on me. the wiring harness started smoking shortly after starting it and the bike went off and i had to quickly remove the positive on the battery. upon closer inspection lots of wires are melted together and it looks like the guy i bought this from did his own DIY on the wiring harness.

so here i am i have sourced wiring harnesses on ebay but my bike is a drz400s 2004 model the harnesses i see are for the "SM, E, S(2005)" and KLX(should be compatible) has there been any significant upgrades in the wiring harness that would not allow me to utilize these harnesses? would the harness but compatible with my bike is the real question.

my one way starter sprag bearing seems to be on it's way out. i've sourced one from someone. i would have to put my bike on the stand in order for the bearing to spin the engine if not the starter would just spin and spin.

i am wondering if my head gasket is also "burnt" as there is murky oil on the pressure cap on my radiator everytime even if i clean it out or is it the water seal, i haven't seen any liquids leaking from the bottom case and i have never found water in the transmission oil.

last but not least, i hear a ringing noise whenever i am riding and it gets louder at higher speeds, i am wondering if this has anything to do with the cam chain or so on.

i am looking forward to your responses!

for the wiring harness i believe the E model is a little different from the s/sm model

as for your starter it could be the starter gear rollers on the flywheel or the back torque limiter thats engaged directly to the starter

your milky rad cap could be a bad head gasket or the water pump could be leaking

as for the ringing noise i could not tell you as for its imposible to diagose a noise over the internet unless you have an audio recording of it

so what can i do to verify? i am at wits end basically would a wiring harness from a 2006 s or sm model work, i want my bike back up asap lol

wires are melted together .------Must have the fuse bypassed.

my bike is a drz400s 2004 model, the harnesses i see are for the "SM, E, S -----E is completely different. S/SM are the same.

There have been a few changes but any year S/SM harness will work on any year S/SM direct fit or easy adapt.

• No idea on the ringing noise. With all the problems, sounds like best approach is a complete tear down for evaluation and rebuild.

i couldnt tell you if it messed up you cdi but once you get a new harness in it you would know if it did.the other way to find out is to swap your cdi with another drz and see if it worked

you know it's kinda funny lol on this island there are only 3 drz's i have an s and the two others are sm's. one of those sm's isn't working right now and the other one is, my friend has the working one. my cdi should work so i'll give him a call to find out if i can test it.

I can not think of any reason the CDI would be damaged unless the short that caused the wire melt was due to a short inside the CDI. If the wires to the CDI are not melted, then I'm sure it is fine.

hey noble you recommended the rebuild, the bore and piston was replaced not so long ago with an oversize it believe it was 434. let me say this, a complete rebuild is hardly feasible at this point. i am in the caribbean importing parts for rebuilds are extremely expensive and sometimes take months to reach here, the wiring harness will take 3 weeks. there are no racing events here just street riding, the bike has good compression and fires up from cold easily. i love this bike man, good sounding, reliable and it takes me every where i want to go for under 2 us dollars.

i want to fix it up and do a partial rebuild check out the valves, hot cams, rejet, k&n filter, cam chain, starter clutch/ torque limiter, where should i start?

btw i would hardly trust any mechanic to do the work for me the jobs they do are nasty and they always us high heat silicone to seal the engines(i hate that) i want to do this all on my own and as cost effective as possible. any advice?

If you can do the work yourself then you are money ahead and you have a lot more options. Start with what is broken. Starter clutch and possibly a head gasket. You will need a special flywheel puller to gain access to the starter clutch. Take it apart and inspect to make sure you are getting the parts you need. Then reassemble and ride while you wait for parts. Order 6 new starter clutch bolts grade 12.9. (6mm socket head by 16mm length (I think that's right) Head gaset - you will need to order one for the larger bore. All sealing surfaces need to be perfectly clean and the surfaces undamaged. Coat the head gasket with "copper coat". The 4 large head bolts get torque to 43 ft lb not 34.

Myself, I would not spend money on performance upgrades. Just keep it running and enjoy.

Same seller, 2 items for sale, 2 prices??? NO valid description of condition. I hate ebay. Its a crap shoot. At lease emal seller about condition.

noble it looks like one has a flasher relay and the other does not, so that's what seemingly affecting the prices. based on these harnesses does it have the part that connects to the starter solenoid?

update: cdi is alright, i repaired the harness and the bike is firing, my the one way sprag bearing seems to be the problem not spinning the engine. also i didn't find any float needle in the carburetor... strange.... i will be buying the harness soon so i'm not quite worried, seems like a complete rebuild is in order