Sign in to follow this  

Air Filter Opinions

UNIfilter NU-3254ST $25... way better than stock, didn't try anything else...

same here.. I imagine the BBR Uni is better, but for $80 I had to pass

How do you define better? The stock one filters fine. I think we all get a case of tinker-itis sometimes. I know I do!

I hooked up a vacuum gauge to the little intake boot port and did some full throttle runs with the stock carb and filter. Vacuum was zero at full throttle while driving it.

That is the old test for determining if you need a bigger carb, more air, etc. The motor could not use any more air. So, to me, save your $25 air filter money for 5 more tanks of gas.

It is always nice to have one or two spare filters and alternate them. That way you will always have a fresh filter ready to go. Stock, Uni or Twin Air, all are good. The convenience is worth the added cost.

Thanks Leardriver...you changed my mind back. I'll buy some gas. Can see how it would be convenient to have multiple air filters, but if its not going to help anything, I don't need it now, I'll wait till I have extra money and come down with a case of tinkeritis. Wonder what the vacuum gauge would read with the stock air box and new jets? Did I put a bunch of holes in my plastic for nothing?

I used to use Uni with NoToil (for the easy cleaning)...but not any more. I put a brand new filter in my desert bike for my one-to-last ride, but after the bike sat a year, the NoToil made the Uni disintegrate... not a good combination. I hate the "real" oil, but it doesn't harden and it doesn't eat the filter.

I have no doubt that there are aftermarket filters that allow more air. The question is whether the bike can benefit from it.

This is a 7.97 HP lawn mower engine. The stock filter does a good job of filtering, maybe more so than the aftermarket ones.

Buy a Uni or whatever. It can't hurt anything, and if it makes you feel like you just installed a performance part, great! I am unconvinced that in this particular application, there is anything to gain.

I am the first guy to try to soup something up. If I get a new electric shaver, and figure out a way to install a turbo in it, I will.

Edited by Leardriver