Sign in to follow this  

Hooking GPS to my 2 Stroke

Ok, Not sure if I am in the right place for this question. If not I am sure it will get moved. I would like to hook my Magellan Triton 400 up to my 2 stroke and would like to know the best way to do it. I know that there is someone out there that has it done. I know the GPS runs on ac and dc. Could I do a direct hook up into the sator. ??? I dont think so... Or do I wire it in with some sort of resistor. I know with my XR 650 I have a direct hook up to the battery with no issue. any help would be great

Sorry about that. I thought I said that it was a 1999 CR 250 with no light kit. It is just streight up stock

Sorry about that. I thought I said that it was a 1999 CR 250 with no light kit. It is just streight up stock

probably going to have to get an aftermarket stator with a lighting coil

depending on what voltage you gps wants you can just get one of the regulator capacitors like what msr sold, They are still out there. I ran em on ac bikes to make the lightbulbs last longer.

here's a sample http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/195/7315/ITEM/MSR-Voltage-Regulator.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Gbase_7315&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=7315

Sweet! did yiu do a direct hook into your stator. I see that there is only 2 wires on this one

I would NOT recommend wiring it right to the stator.

Use a small voltage regulator made for rectifying stator voltage. You don't need much, if all you're running off of it is a GPS get the smallest one you can find (even then it's going to be -way- more than enough). Wire the AC wires on the regulator to the stator, DC wires to the GPS.

The regulator/rectifier and GPS is going to draw so little current that the stator you've got now is probably fine.

• Like 1

Do you think wiring a resistor in there would also be a good idea. If I were to wire to the current stator, how would I go about doing that w/o taking power away from the rest of the bike.

I would NOT recommend wiring it right to the stator.

Use a small voltage regulator made for rectifying stator voltage. You don't need much, if all you're running off of it is a GPS get the smallest one you can find (even then it's going to be -way- more than enough). Wire the AC wires on the regulator to the stator, DC wires to the GPS.

The regulator/rectifier and GPS is going to draw so little current that the stator you've got now is probably fine.

Youd be a lot better off getting a Garmin 60CSX. Runs on batteries, long battery life and is a great GPS for woods / off road use.

Edited by number9

Now here is a question. this GPS is ac/dc. I run it on battery power. I run it off my computer and I run it off the 12v cigarette lighter from my car. whats the difference from that and my bike

Bikes have notoriously dirty electrical power that can damage electronics. Forget about connecting the GPS to the bike, simplify life and buy a GPS that has long battery life.

I use two Garmin GPS units (a 76Csx and an Oregon), both have 18 hour battery life so I change the two AA bats after two or three rides and carry two AAs in the back pack. During the past three years I've only once needed to replace batteries while riding. Cheap and easy. The other reason for carrying spare batteries, and possibly the most important, is if I need to walk out of the woods I will have power for the GPS.

Now here is a question. this GPS is ac/dc. I run it on battery power. I run it off my computer and I run it off the 12v cigarette lighter from my car. whats the difference from that and my bike

The difference is that cig lighter and USB port go through voltage regulators.

Also, all those sources you mentioned are DC. I'm not aware of any GPS that can run off straight-up AC on its power input.

Simply using a resistor from an AC coil is not the right way to hook it up. If you're really interested in building something yourself, use a few zener diodes to limit peak voltage, from those run that through a bridge rectifier and across a capacitor. Now run it through a regulator... LM317s are cheap adjustable regulators, calculate the resistor values to get 12.5-13 volts at the output and wire that up. Fixed 12v-output regulators are available too. You'll also need some filter caps on either side of the regulator.

Or you could just buy a small voltage regulator that does all that for you, and comes pre-assembled in a waterproof and heat-sinked case. Your choice, I guess. :smirk:

For day trips through the woods, a GPS mounted on the bars that runs off batteries is probably the simplest/easiest route to go. The 60/76Cx/CSx have been mentioned and are great options (I have a 60CSx). Longer trips/adventure rides where you're out on the bike for a few days, wiring it to the bike is the way to go. But if you're doing that kind of riding, chances are you're going to need 12VDC for other things like lights, so just tap into that circuit for the GPS.

I have GPS wired on my sled too, the cold temperatures out snowmobiling are hell on a battery... augmenting my 60's battery power with sled power while it's running means my batteries will last for a few days of riding.

• Like 1

Ok, Not sure if I am in the right place for this question. If not I am sure it will get moved. I would like to hook my Magellan Triton 400 up to my 2 stroke and would like to know the best way to do it. I know that there is someone out there that has it done. I know the GPS runs on ac and dc. Could I do a direct hook up into the sator. ??? I dont think so... Or do I wire it in with some sort of resistor. I know with my XR 650 I have a direct hook up to the battery with no issue. any help would be great

a word of caution for you- I have the same gps (triton 400 about 3 yrs old) and I loved it right up until I went to the Magellan website and

decided to update the software for the unit, NEVER DO THIS, once I uploaded the software version upon power upthe unit crashes before even finding a signal and then self shutsdown. I have tried to relaod it several times with no luck.