villapoto faded?

I felt like the track wasn't as technical as some of the others. Usually the tracks seem to have some lines or rhythm sections that only the better riders have the balls/skill to take (which helps make up a lot of time). I didn't feel OAK had a section for the 450s. It seemed like it was easier for the 250s to make up lost time than the 450s. 80% of the guys on the 450s were able to do the triple, triple, double section just before the last turn. In the 250s main that section was only being done by a handful or riders. It was a bit scary watching Wilson and Sealey working thru the pack on that section (they were doing the triple, triple, double the guys they were working thru seemed to be doubling everything). I kept having flash backs with what happened to Canard in LA.

I thought James, Reed, the Ryan's, and Windam all rode great. And Eli Tomac seemed to be on absolute fire!

As for Dungey, the guy charged through the field for 4th! The last couple weeks RV does that and everyone is hailing the guy as the second coming of christ. They just didnt show Dungey because there was some potential battles up at the front. Dungey had a horrible start and is still (tied) points leader, hats off to him for making that happen.

I think the difference was RV came back from dead last and RD was mid pack. Doesn't matter both impressive rides!

he was taking all outside lines, maybe his bike wasn't cornering well on the inside.

he looked fast but backed off toward the end.

i think he figured he would get the points and stay on two wheels

I saw the same thing. Especially the first turn after the finish line jump. He was knowingly giving up a little time there every lap. Not sure if that was a bike setup issue or a concious effort to use alternate lower risk lines and let the others make mistakes. Eitherway, it resulted in a 3rd place finish. That was the biggest surprise of the evening and the best news for a competitive points race all season.

Like I said before I think that Villopoto is a sneaky dude. Case in point, he hangs out in james' "blindspot" staying out of the way hoping to blow the doors of the compettition, like the great RV just went by!!! NOT, RV is trying to outwit everyone.

HE's SNEAKY!!!

Most lepercans are sneaky little redheaded ginger bastards! ?

• Like 1

I saw the same thing. Especially the first turn after the finish line jump. He was knowingly giving up a little time there every lap. Not sure if that was a bike setup issue or a concious effort to use alternate lower risk lines and let the others make mistakes. Eitherway, it resulted in a 3rd place finish. That was the biggest surprise of the evening and the best news for a competitive points race all season.

I haven't seen it on boobtube.com yet, but at the race it looked like RV was absolutely railing that outside line. In the heat race he was able to maintain his speed so well thru turn 1 and made a few passes going into turn 2. But like mentioned before maybe in the main the track changed and the inside was better.

RV got behind Reed and then got scared. Was hoping Reed and Stewart would battle and take each other out like so many times in 2011. He is good and certainly CAN DO IT, but doesn't have the guts to pass these guys at the expense of one of them rubbing him out. I was disappointed to see RV pass soooo many guys, then just throw in the towel when he realized that Reed was not going to make it EASY for him.

RV got behind Reed and then got scared. Was hoping Reed and Stewart would battle and take each other out like so many times in 2011. He is good and certainly CAN DO IT, but doesn't have the guts to pass these guys at the expense of one of them rubbing him out. I was disappointed to see RV pass soooo many guys, then just throw in the towel when he realized that Reed was not going to make it EASY for him.

Yeah this surprised me too. It did seem like his effort went down a couple notches once Reed denied him a couple times. I can't tell whether RV is slower than his first 2 races, or if the others have just caught up to his level. One could make a case either way...

Just because the dude didnt win, doesn't mean there was something wrong with the bike....Sheeesh! ?

He just didnt have what it took on this particular night to beat CR22 and JS7. He had all the time in the world to do it and the door of opportunities were constantly slammed shut.....Thats racing, call it what it is. His bike has been set up "dead nuts" since the Monster Cup and getting around Reed and Stewart isn't the same as trying to get aroud most other racers. Most of us who live in reality know damn well that there will not be one guy who runs away with this thing unless tragedy strikes the other competitors.

Live to fight another day.....

• Like 2

I disagree. Watching it live may not have translated like it did on TV. If anything he lookd faster on that outside line and was gaining on the other guys right there. I am sure he was not giving up anything there. The best place to pass was after the strait away and then around the burm to the little table to right hand turn that Stewart passed Reed at. After Stewart got around him in that turn, Reed tightened his line up there and never gave anyone another chance.

Watched the race again last night because my daughter was interested in seeing it, and I agree with other's take that RV looked at the risk/benefit of pushing against Reed - who was riding incredibly well - and decided that it would be a high risk situation to go for a pass. Smart move to take the points I think. Mixing it up with Reed and JS could have easily resulted in a serious mishap that led to no points from the race.

Reed did a great job of blocking RVs passing lines, etc, as others have commented. That's experience there.

The same way he stumbled at the second to last MX race in 2011? YOU call that stumblinb? ?

I meant last years Jacksonvilles race where he didn't even make the main! Lets see the year he was at St Louis and took himself out. Umm did he lose the championship to canard when canard parked him into the finish line? Not trying to be a smart ass on that one just don't know for a fact if he lost or not on it.