Sign in to follow this  

best way to wire up accessories

i want to wire up my gps and a plug for my phone.. possibly a just a cigarette lighter...

whats my best option for this? straight to the battery with a switch?

Thats how I did mine and my heated grips. Some people might advise an in-line fuse too. But I haven't had any issues to date running straight off the battery. Make sure you use wire rated for the load. (I think 18 gauge marine wire)

Thats how I did mine and my heated grips. Some people might advise an in-line fuse too. But I haven't had any issues to date running straight off the battery. Make sure you use wire rated for the load. (I think 18 gauge marine wire)

I hope you have some sort of fuse, even if it's the stock 20 amp fuse. If an unprotected circuit goes to ground your copper wire will get about 1200 degrees.

For my heated grips I used a wire from the wiring harnes that lit up with the ignition. For my GPS I used a wire that was always on. Both these wires are behind the headlight and in the same harness, can't remember colors. They work great and don't get hot at all.

Edited by toadl

i would recommend going into a wire that only has power when the bike has power. If its straight to the battery and you forget to turn it off when you get off you'll be coming back to a flat battery

Relay from the battery with in line fuse controlled with key switch power. If you want constant power (always on) for the GPS, just tap into the hot (battery) side of the relay. Everything that runs thru the relay gets turned off with the key.

Relay from the battery with in line fuse controlled with key switch power. If you want constant power (always on) for the GPS, just tap into the hot (battery) side of the relay. Everything that runs thru the relay gets turned off with the key.

hm, ive never really done any wiring with a relay.. maybe ill see if i can find some sorta howto online. diagrams or soemthing

best way...buy a cheap 20amp relay and use the tail light as a trigger...this will keep the relay from staying on and killing your battery...another reason...and I speak from experience on this...I orginally hooked up the outlet to my battery directly and one night it rained, shorted out the outlet with the rain water and killed the battery...but did not pop the fuse...go figure...but this relay setup has worked well for me for about two years...Eastern Beaver makes some nice pre-wired stuff...I have one of their relays and it was afforadable and it is of very good quality

Edited by motobobintexas

ok this looks pretty straight forward, switch power just goes to rear light or whatever turns on with the key. my only question is where do you ground your accessory?

relay-8.jpg

also would it make sence to run 2 of this setup. one for my phone charging and one for my gps? if i needed to run both at the same time? or could i just double up on the wire to accessories?

Edited by draelas

I just used a blue wire splice tap onto the brown tail light wire (the running light wire), then used the long wires to run the ground back to the battery tap...the battery bolts are short...since I have 3 taps (power outlet, heated grips, LED aux lights) I added an extra wire to the battery and just put all connections on a bolt and nut tapped into the positve and negative wires...not much room on top of the battery anyway

in the end...I may go with the happy trails DRZ battery box, put in a smalled LI battery and put all the relay stuff in there as well...right now I have the relays under the seat area and it is pretty tight

ok great. thx for the help i think i can figure it all out from here.

Choose a relay sized for the expected load. 20 amp is sufficient for anything you need to run. 14 gage wire is sufficient for a 20 amp fuse and a 20 amp relay. You do not want to add more than 50 watts (about 5 amps) continuious load to the electrical system so 20 amp relay fuse and wire is more than sufficient.

Oooookay so I am dumb.

I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to do this, and I just realized that the relay doesn't need to be wired inline to the switched power source. The relay needs to sense the voltage on the switched wire (like the brown tail-light wire in this post) and the other side just needs ground.

That's it. It only needs ONE wire into the harness, and the other wire into ground.

I hope this helps someone avoid the frustration I had. My first relay experience.