Sign in to follow this  

2009 CRF 450R Woods Setup!

After years of nothing but two smokers i have just purchased a like new 2009 CRF 450. It's winter here in Canada, so i have decided to take my suspension to one of the best here in Canada. Joe Skidd will be working his magic on my suspension. with the suspension work done, i will be looking to help cure the flame out issue. Looking at the Rekluse, i take it this will solve the issue? I have never had a auto clutch so I'm a little worried, anyone here had good luck with the 09 CRF 450 as a woods weapon? I will be adding a skid plate and bark busters, any other suggestions for the 09 is greatly appreciated. Come on spring!

I ride a 2010 in the woods. I installed the EXP clutch when i begun racing HS and i will admit it helps alot, but i felt like it got me real lazy.(tractor mode) I have since been still using the lever when i am riding aggressively, but have the recluse to save me out of hard places.

It will help with the flame out big time also.

I ride a 2010 in the woods. I installed the EXP clutch when i begun racing HS and i will admit it helps alot, but i felt like it got me real lazy.(tractor mode) I have since been still using the lever when i am riding aggressively, but have the recluse to save me out of hard places.

It will help with the flame out big time also.

Thanks for the info, looks like i need a Rekluse!

I currently race a 08 in CC/HS and enduros. LOVE IT! Also have a autoclutch in it as well. Best mod ever after suspension revalved and tuned.

• Like 1

as the guys above stated, next to suspension.. a recluse auto clutch is the best single mod you can do for woods/hs racing/riding. Carefully review the 3 models however. The z-start pro is the old tried n' true but has a floppy-feather like feel at the clutch lever. The exp and exp core are the newer models that have a more stock feel clutch lever, but your gonna need the more expensive core depending .. (core uses all the clutch plates and a bigger clutch basket vs. the exp2.0 that you have to remove plates to make fit on your stock basket).

• Like 1

CK the latest Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike. There is an article on this exact bike about the Vortex adjustable ignition thingy. Very expensive($699) but it seemed to address all the issues concerning starting, flameout and powerband. Just plugs in and sounds very promising.

• Like 1

I saw that in the latest issue, it is expensive but if it solves my problems then so be it! Thanks for the reply, i just picked up my suspension tonight! Now if this snow would just melt i could try it out! Come on April!

I saw that in the latest issue, it is expensive but if it solves my problems then so be it! Thanks for the reply, i just picked up my suspension tonight! Now if this snow would just melt i could try it out! Come on April! Thats funny, you're fighting snow and I need to go cut my grass!

• Like 1

I have an 09 too but haven't bit the bullet on the rekluse yet. can't really decide if i wanna go that route. but you should definitely get in touch with eddie here on the forums. he'll do a remap of your ecm to take care of the flameout issue and it won't cost you a fortune.

• Like 1

I have an 09 too but haven't bit the bullet on the rekluse yet. can't really decide if i wanna go that route. but you should definitely get in touch with eddie here on the forums. he'll do a remap of your ecm to take care of the flameout issue and it won't cost you a fortune.

Thanks for the heads up. Might just take your advice and save myself some $$$$$$$!

you can find him in the experts section on the home page. Eddie Sisneros is the name. just shoot him a pm and he'll hook you up.

• Like 1

also I'd recommend a bigger rear sprocket. think most woods guys run a 52 tooth. and a heavier flywheel. check out "trail tech" for this, good quality and helpful staff.

• Like 1

also I'd recommend a bigger rear sprocket. think most woods guys run a 52 tooth. and a heavier flywheel. check out "trail tech" for this, good quality and helpful staff.

just keep in mind sprocket size and heft of flywheel weight can depend on the kind of "woods" your runnin. im runnin stock on the 04 and 08 (13/48) but the recluse auto clutch helps with smaller ratios. I had been running 13/49 without an auto clutch, and sure.. if your running real tight stuff all the time or real hills/mountains im sure the bigger ratio that 13/52 gives and heavier fww will help.. and yes, the guys at trail tech flywheels are very helpful! :smirk:

Some of the stuff i run is really tight, like almost more suited for a trials bike! For the most part, most of it has a nice flow to it! I just purchased the bike three weeks ago, going to purchase a skid plate, bark busters and FMF Q- stealth silencer for now! My last several bikes have been two YZ 250's and a CR 500AF for single track! I was really nervous on buying a four stroke for the woods! My suspension has had a going over and i will add on the items listed above! Once the snow melts, i will take everyone's advice into consideration and decide what needs to be done to make this baby more woods friendly! Once again boys, thanks a million for all the advice! Greatly appreciated.

I have a 10 which I think is very simalr to your 09, I tried evrything to help with the "Cough & Die",, I'm sure the wife could tally a dollar amount if you need that! :bonk: My advice would be; On the Rekluse, go One step better than the Z-Start Pro version,(EXP I think it is) and turn the idle up! A Twin Air Filter system with no screen made a huge difference with mine and I'm very happy with the Toko Mods ECM box. All three are not cheap(not even close) but if you ride single track, tight woods I'll think you'll be a lot happier,,,, unless you can ride like Charlie Mullins then it won't matter!! :smirk: Having fun is why we ride!!!

Mitch

• Like 1