Sign in to follow this  

Going to start my build - need suggestions

Going to start building my 2004 CRF250R a little at a time. The bike is completely stock with the exception of a pro circuit T4 muffler. No jetting has been done. Most of my riding consists of single track and fast trails, but I am no stranger to the track either. This has been such a great bike and I'm starting to want a little more out of it. I'm about 5'10 160lbs if that makes any difference.

My first mod is probably going to be a higher compression piston and some new valves (any brand reccomendations?) but what I want to know from all the 250 owners is:

what mods do you have that work for you? How does it compare over stock? Any good power improvement mods like different year R cams (or hotcams), quickshot, header, etc. Also are there any reliability mods that need to be done? The bike has about 40 hours on it since I did a top end rebuild, and I check my valves every 15 +/- and have only been out of spec once.

Hit me with your best shot I'm anxious to hear what everyone has got.

1004101718.jpg

Congrats on taking great care of your bike.

I like to recommend economical, best value upgrades/mods since most of us don't have unlimited budgets.

I suspect a valve job is in order, and from your report, I would recommend just getting your valve seats recut and installing a new set of OEM valves and valve guides. Kibblewhite stainless exhaust valves are also excellent quality. A HotCams Stage 2 cam will wake things up a bit, but another great option is to see if you can find a good, used 2008/2009 stock cam. I have used the Boyesen Quickshots on 450s and 250s and they do help with low-end bogging, but unless you are having a bog problem, I would put my money elsewhere.

Higher compression pistons are a great, all around performance upgrade. I prefer Wiseco pistons. They have a complete 13.5:1 kit that would be a great add.

Weight-wise, you are just about perfect for stock suspension, but I would recommend a good fork/shock service of you haven't serviced the suspension for a few years (or ever). Inspect the sliders, and replace the fork/shock fluids and seals. You would be surprised how much nicer the suspension will feel after a quality service.

And my favorite upgrades for off-road, trails, and single-track is to install a Rekluse auto clutch, some wider footpegs, and a new pair of handlebar grips.

Edited by Grinstead_77G

Head porting, HC piston and an 08/09 camshaft will be a huge improvement. I'm a firm believer in "the bike is pleanty fast enough and it's the rider". Suspension mods to me are the best bang for the buck, but most think that it's the bike that lacks power. If you really want to make it faster and more powerfull, head porting is the ticket, but it always needs to be complimented with a cam and piston.

The bike is definately fast enough for me. The few times I've had it completely wide open and still wanted more were few and far between. Havent thought of head porting, is that something a local shop usually does or do I have to send it somewhere

I really like the Racers ER (crfheads.com) valve service over in St. George, UT.

They can do the valve seat work, replace the valves with OEM (or Kibblewhite exhausts) and do a mild port/valve seat blend for reasonable $$.

If you send them your head, they will reuse the parts that are still within service specs and reassemble and reshim the valve clearances so you can just bolt on the head and go.

one of the best improvements would be a new head the 04 had a bad port shape if your not porting i would purchase a 08-09 head install a good valve spring kit the best kit is the ferrea with coated retainers it supplys the right amont of seat pressure with out adding hihg pressures @ the higer lifts this spring kit can get away with this because its lighter in mass than any of the other kits out there .the wiseco titanium intake valves hold up very well and do not kill the seats like a steel valve.if your going to install a cam since you have the spring kit the rhc 5 will out perform any of the other cams mentioned.a wiseco 14-1 piston with this cam will still work with premium pump fuel.