Winter riding Cr250

Hello

Yesterday i was out and riding my 2003 Cr250 in the snow. It was about 40cm powder snow and it was alot of fun!

When riding on the ice with all this snow, the bike started to sound a bit weird. It sounded like the choke was on, but it was not. When i got home i took the seat off and the airfilter was like a big snow ball.

I was wondering if i could use some ducktape on the air intakes and close them ? I see that older Cr250 models does not have the air intake in the rear side plastics. My 2003 Cr125 did not have them.

Would this be a good idea from preventing all the snow in the airfilter ? Or does anyone else have any other ideas ? I know the engine will get less air, so it might not run right ?

Let me know ?

Jan

No my side intakes is not shielded. They are open but i do not have orginal plastics. Look:

Untitledvr2502-4.jpg

I searched 2003 Cr250 images and i see that the orginally side cover plastics has the air intake shielded. So orginally the 2003 Cr250 does not come with open side intakes ? That means i could cover them up with ducktape without too much trouble ? I know it depends on how my jetting is thought.

Do you have any recommendations on how i should jet it for the winter ? Im near sea level and the temprature is around -10. Right now im running 420 main jet. Is it too small ?

No my side intakes is not shielded. They are open but i do not have orginal plastics. Look:

Untitledvr2502-4.jpg

I searched 2003 Cr250 images and i see that the orginally side cover plastics has the air intake shielded. So orginally the 2003 Cr250 does not come with open side intakes ? That means i could cover them up with ducktape without too much trouble ? I know it depends on how my jetting is thought.

Do you have any recommendations on how i should jet it for the winter ? Im near sea level and the temprature is around -10. Right now im running 420 main jet. Is it too small ?

All '02-07 CR125/250 came with the air intake holes in the number plate side covers. The '02's had a hole with no recess (or shielding), in '03 the hole extends into the airbox roughly 1.5 inches to help keep dirt/mud from going directly onto the air filter. I know Acerbis follows this design change as I have both types in my parts bin. Order a pair using '03 or later model year and you'll get the sheilding. Great looking bike BTW, I love the understated graphics.

PS your brake line should go on the inside of the fork tube

Edited by Redlined

Hi! if i were you i would check the engine temp if you ride in a lot of snow. the bike may run too cold and that could cause a seize. When we icerace we usually cover at least one radiator, maybe more. It's also a good idea to wrap the pipe with heat insulation as the pipe will get very cold and you loose power. I always use one number bigger mainjet than what the book says for safety as there is so much load on the engine on the long straights.

Johnny.

• Like 1

If you are happy with your summer jetting, increase the main 1 size for every 20degree F change. The needle is usually one clip richer, and the pilot one size larger. If the temps are chaning more than 60-70 degrees F, you may need 2 clips richer on the needle.

That is the baseline change and approximatley mirrors the change in the manual. The difference is you make the change from a known good setting if you have one. The recommended setting in the manual does not always work for everyone.

This forum is awesome!! ? So much help. Thanks !

I am running the JD jetting kit in my Cr250 and the biggest main jet is 410. I just sent a mail to James Dean about it so i`ll have to see what he says. Im afraid that 410 is too small.

So if i had the number plate side covers with shielding my bike would have got air but the snow would not get in ? Or does the shielding block air too ?

Using ducktape on my open side covers is not a good idea then ? Well i need to do something because the snow is very loose and it gets thrown everywhere when im riding. it gets sucked right in those side cover holes and on my air filter.

Jan

This forum is awesome!! ? So much help. Thanks !

I am running the JD jetting kit in my Cr250 and the biggest main jet is 410. I just sent a mail to James Dean about it so i`ll have to see what he says. Im afraid that 410 is too small.

So if i had the number plate side covers with shielding my bike would have got air but the snow would not get in ? Or does the shielding block air too ?

Using ducktape on my open side covers is not a good idea then ? Well i need to do something because the snow is very loose and it gets thrown everywhere when im riding. it gets sucked right in those side cover holes and on my air filter.

Jan

Here's what the later covers look like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-HONDA-CR-250-CR250-CR125-CR-125-LEFT-SIDE-COVER-RIGHT-SIDE-COVER-2-CR-250-/180808037757?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a18ffb57d