Sign in to follow this  

Maximum Engine Temperature Range

Hello,

I have a 1988 XR600R that I put a Trail Tech Vapor Tach on it that also has an oil tempurature sensor. I am trying to find out what the maximum safe operating tempature is for the bike.

is the sensor the type that goes around the spark plug?

if so, you will see higher temps then those on the vapor, as the vapor only goes up to 395 degrees, and on a hot day climbing uphills slowly, you will see temps in the 400's.

safe zone is around the 350 degree tho, for a air cooled engine.

Edited by 150ron

If you are not running synthetic in that big thumper, I would suggest Mobil1, 15w50, I am currently getting this for $6.50 a quart at wallyworld. That's a great buy on a syn viscosity that we can all use. I have read that syn will shave 20 degrees off your operating temps.

41PESk-Ay%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by OlderHuskyRider

The Tach sensor does wrap around the plug wire but the temp sensor is at the oil line where it goes into the head. I was just looking at that oil today at cycle gear and they wanted $13.00 a quart so I did not get it. I thought full synthetic would be better for it. So are you saying that the engine can operate as hot as 400 degrees F? It was running at 205 yesterday on the freeway 5300 rpm @ 65 mph with the air temp @ 45 degrees.

Edited by Rider1ify

Up to 250 degrees is normal. After that you're getting hot. If you reach 300 deg. shut her off and let her cool down.

Thank you for that info. I feel better about it now. Does anyone know why my 88 has rear drum breaks when they were advertised with rear disc? I believe it is the 2nd bike off the line for 88 based on the serial number.