Sign in to follow this  

2 episodes of spooj junk in carb: bad case THAT common?

Meant bad "GAS" in title, not "case".

2009 250 XCFW KTM, low miles. This is the second time Ive encountered starting/running issues that turned out related to spooj in carb. Firsy time wouldnt run unless choke on. Cleaned card and found clogged idel jet. This time, after it sat foir about a month it would crank but not fire (had spark). Take apart carb and fine this pearl colored coagulated spooj in the carb with 2 jets clogged from it. See pictures below. This was high octane 93 gas, only a month old WITH fuel stabilizer in it. This is similar to the way the first jet issue was clogged, just a lot worse.

I get it that gas can go bad but this fast and this much, twice? I know the KTM manual says to drain bowl if going to let it sit more than a week (seems excessive). Something with this carb? Im perplexed and really dont want to have to keep doing this, or will have to just drain carb all the time in between rides.

Any thoughts?

Still wet with gas:

spooj1.jpg

After its dried out:

spooj2.jpg

Edited by a_gunslinger

Anything longer than one or two weeks, and you need to drain the carb. Not run it dry, but remove or empty the bowl completely.

I have found that gas stabilizer can create as many problems as it sovles (stabil, craftsman, wallmart products have all given me issues).

Thanks for the reply. Its wierd though because I never knew this and have always left gas in the carb, no issues. New KTM and twice clogged with gunk in a 3 month period.

Thanks for the reply. Its wierd though because I never knew this and have always left gas in the carb, no issues. New KTM and twice clogged with gunk in a 3 month period.

Have you every cleaned out the tank? Lots of Euro plastic is covered in wierd gunk to protect it during shipping.

Have you every cleaned out the tank? Lots of Euro plastic is covered in wierd gunk to protect it during shipping.

Ack, no! Never would have thought to. How do you clean out the inside of a fuel tank?