Sign in to follow this  

09 WR, stock pipe, tail pipe removed?

Anyone running the stock pipe with the tailpipe taken out? If so any advantage performance wise with this setup?

Talking about that pea shooter insert? Yeah get rid of that thing!!! Drill holes in the front baffle and open that thing up. Better yet get yourself an exhaust from a YZ. Do all of the free mods and wake that bike up. You're riding a pig with half throttle

I've actually done the free mods already, pea shooter removed and all. I was referring to the piece that is just before the spark arrester screen. So far this thing is still a dog. But I am coming from an 04 yz250f, then to an 06 yz250, now to 09 wr250.

I rode with a friend who has a 08 yz250f the other day, I swear there is a 10 hp swing between these two bikes considering his bike has an fmf slip on.

Riding the bike with the back end of the stock muffler removed would make it loud and, in my opinion, sound like shit.

On top of that, it won't make your WR run like a YZ.

I have a 2009 WR-250F, too.

Replacing the whole exhaust system (header and muffler) with an FMF Powerbomb header and Q muffler really made my bike come alive, giving the bike more power everywhere, and most noticable on the low end which is handy for trail riding.

Also:

Your WR-250F engine is, indeed, heavily based on a 2006 YZ-250F (actually, the whole bike is), but there are still key differences.

Your generator flywheel is much heavier due to the starter clutch gear attached to it and for powering lights and adding tractability to the power delivery, but the trade-off is slower acceleration.

Your WR-250F exhaust camshaft is advanced a tooth (on the cam sprocket) for less valve overlap and a smoother power delivery, but the trade-off is slower acceleration.

Your WR-250F airbox, even after removing the skorkels, is not as open as the YZ-250F airbox in order to reduce intake noise and improve waterproofing for the filter.

If you insist, you can add punch to the power delivery by modifying these areas.

Myself, I'm happy with my uncorked, free-modded, and FMF-exhausted bike, and think it's fantastic for the trails I ride, engine-wise.

If I could change anything from the way it is now, it would be having the front fork perform as well as the rear suspension (in fact, I'm doing that now).

Edited by YZEtc