Sign in to follow this  

04 450exc oil leak...pic

My dad's bike is leaking oil from the top of the motor...we replaced the 2 bolts on top that are notorious for leaking, but we're having the same problem.

My question, what are these bolts in the picture and what do they do?...the one in the middle that's on top of the cone looking piece. Is it supposed to be tight or is it an adjustment for something? Both were pretty loose and I think oil might be coming out from under them

Picture-3.jpg

The black socket head near the cone clamps the rocker shaft and is also used to set the side clearance for the rocker arms, 1 ea intake and exhaust. These should be torqued to spec while setting the side clearance with a feeler gauge and no load on the rocker from cam or valves. This (x2) is also the bolt that was a problem on the 04 RFS when KTM went to a lesser grade bolt which was a hex like the rest. Looks like it has been upgraded on your motor because it is black & socket head, but is still subject to wear and some replace once every 100 hours or so.

Not sure where the oil is coming from but if loose oil will leak from any on the head. All should have a copper washer under head.

Bruce

I'm talking about the silver socket head on the cone, they were loose and I think oil might be leaking from there

It is possible (although unlikely) that the oil is leaking out around the edges of the 'cone'. The cone is sealed with an O-ring. The cone can be pulled out after removing the center bolt and the longer, hardened bolt on the top. The bolt on the top, as already indicated, requires a copper gasket.

It has a copper gasket under it....This is my question.

How tight should the bolts holding the cone down be? They were both loose. You say it's unlikely for oil to be leaking from there but if the bolt is loose oil could leak there right?

I'll dig out the manual and see if there's anything in it on adjusting them

Dave Hopkins is one of several RFS head experts who post here. I would do a member search and PM him.

Not sure why those would be loose. Has the head been apart?

Exploded view on page 15 of the 2004 motor parts book, but I didn't see torque or assembly instructions.

Pinned to the top of the forum page is a thread by Ud_Luz which has a link near the bottom to a Beta Manual (same motor). On PDF page 97 (39 of the manual) is an exploded view.

Not sure what the torque should be but they should not be loose as I don't believe they are disassembled even for a valve job. They look to have a washer under each (aluminum?) and as mentioned an "O" ring around the outside. Not sure if it would lead to any problems if you were to loosen and check for the washer then tighten.

Bakersfield High School Drillers? I'm in the NW, Coffee & Olive.

Bruce

Edited by BDM

Dave Hopkins is one of several RFS head experts who post here. I would do a member search and PM him.

Not sure why those would be loose. Has the head been apart?

Exploded view on page 15 of the 2004 motor parts book, but I didn't see torque or assembly instructions.

Pinned to the top of the forum page is a thread by Ud_Luz which has a link near the bottom to a Beta Manual (same motor). On PDF page 97 (39 of the manual) is an exploded view.

Not sure what the torque should be but they should not be loose as I don't believe they are disassembled even for a valve job. They look to have a washer under each (aluminum?) and as mentioned an "O" ring around the outside. Not sure if it would lead to any problems if you were to loosen and check for the washer then tighten.

Bakersfield High School Drillers? I'm in the NW, Coffee & Olive.

Bruce

Thanks for the help...the bike has very low hours so the head has never been apart. Maybe I'll look him up and pm Dave Hopkins

Not really sure, maybe I can stop by Valley Cycle and see if any of them can fill me in on it

Yeah, bakersfield high school...I'm off 7th standarda and McCray