Sign in to follow this  

1996 tank on a 1990 CR250?

I've read thoroughly about swapping the various plastics between the 1990-1992 CR250 and 125. What I've never seen is if you can swap to a later style 1993+ tank or not. My reason for asking is because my tank has a hole in it, nobody makes a stock size tank for the 1990 CR250, and it would also be nice to look a bit more modern. Finding a nice used 1990 CR250 tank is proving impossible, and most used ones look like they'd been dragged out of the swamp due to the gas creep through the plastic. Whereas finding a decent used 1996-ish tank is a lot easier. Plus companies still offer stock size replacement tanks for the later gen bikes. I have no need or want for a 3+ gallon tank.

Is there a big reason why it wouldn't work? Seat issues? Mounting issues? Obviously the shrouds would need to be changed but that's easy. I'm a good welder, so if it's something like mounting tabs that would be an easy fix for me. If it's something like the frame angle thats different and that throws everything out of whack, that's a bigger problem.

Not sure about any mounting compatibility. Have you looked on ebay? The white tanks on the 92-96 CR's are going to look worse over time from the gas fumes (unless you keep it drained when not in use) than the red tank from the 90-91 CR's.

Edited by KcDavis

Anyone? Beuller?

Granted I'd rather have a white take, BUT, the color issue still doesn't resolve the fact that there aren't new stock size tanks being made anymore for the 90-91 250 and 91-92 125. That problem is solvable with the later tanks.

I did try a Clarke tank, and the fit was horrible, nothing lined up right, and it made the seat bend up weird at the front. Plus, It ended up being cracked at the mounting bosses. That, in addition to me not needing/wanting a bigger tank, I won't buy another Clarke.

I did try to order new OEM, all 90-91 250 and 91-92 125 tanks are NLA. There's a few sites like Motosport that still list them, but they can't get them anymore.

The answer for whether a 96 tank will fit on a 90, is yes,.................. sort of.

I finally bought a used 96 CR250 tank to test fit on my 90. I also found a complete set of 96 plastics on ebay for stupid cheap, so I bought everything.

The 96 tank's frame mounting bracket hole is about 1 inch lower than the 90. Placing the 96 tank on the 90 frame, I moved it around a bit to see how things lined up. I found the stock 90 seat lines up just fine with the later tank. Also the shroud lower radiator mounting holes also line up perfectly. Once everything was in it's proper place I welded on some tabs to the frame, and welded nuts to the back, so the bolts would thread in like stock. Everything else clears, the kickstarter, the brake reservoir, lines, cables, etc. The tunnel under the 96 tank is smaller than the 90 tank around the cylinder top, so there's a tad less room for the coolant hoses, but everything still fits. So now I can run either a 90 tank, or the later 92-96 tanks.

FWIW the 88-89 tanks fit the 90-91 holes, mine came with the wrong early tank originally.

Edited by yellowdatsun

Here's a closer pic of the mounting hole discrepancy. You can see the original 90 hole in the middle of the frame tube, the new location is just below the tube.

96tankmountinghole.jpg