Sign in to follow this  

Smallest rear sprocket

Whats the smallest sprocket available for the drz? I'm running the 41t from the sm on my s atm but I wanted to go even lower, I found a 38t on wheelingcyclesupply.com but I was unsure if any other company sold a smaller one. Thanks for the help!

Are you using a 16T CS also?

No i've got a 15 on the front there's no room to get a 16t on the front with the case saver

No i've got a 15 on the front there's no room to get a 16t on the front with the case saver

Do a search on 16T CS, You have to modify the case saver to get the clearance, then it is fine. I have run over 30K miles using 16T CS sprockets. I have always used "Driven" brand CS sprockets and have never had any problems.

Do a search on 16T CS, You have to modify the case saver to get the clearance, then it is fine. I have run over 30K miles using 16T CS sprockets. I have always used "Driven" brand CS sprockets and have never had any problems.

What size sprocket are you running in the rear?

Up until today I was running the stock 41T. Today I just installed a Honda F2 rear wheel and I have a Vortex 40T rear sprocket.

DRZ_F2%2520rear%25201_29_12.jpg

I also run 150/70-17 Michelin Road3 tire, it is slightly taller than the stock SM tire. My motor has a +4mm bore and a +4mm stroke, it has enough torque to pull the taller gearing. Before the increased bore and stroke, I did not like the taller gearing, it took some of the fun out of the bike.

Up until today I was running the stock 41T. Today I just installed a Honda F2 rear wheel and I have a Vortex 40T rear sprocket.

I also run 150/70-17 Michelin Road3 tire, it is slightly taller than the stock SM tire. My motor has a +4mm bore and a +4mm stroke, it has enough torque to pull the taller gearing. Before the increased bore and stroke, I did not like the taller gearing, it took some of the fun out of the bike.

My 400s is stock atm but I plan on doing the 3x3 mod within the next week or two, I bet a 16t front would make first gear too tall with my 41t rear :smirk: I just wish they were 6 speeds!

My 400s is stock atm but I plan on doing the 3x3 mod within the next week or two, I bet a 16t front would make first gear too tall with my 41t rear :smirk: I just wish they were 6 speeds!

Before the engine work on mine, it had a Yoshi pipe, 3x3 mod and jet kit. I only ran the 16T CS for a few hundred miles before I put the 15T back on. The 16T hurt the acceleration too much and it was not as much fun to ride.

Once I had the big bore and stroker crank installed, I have only used the 16T and it is just fine.

If you are planning a trip where you would spend a lot of time on the highway, running the 16T for the trip might be OK. For everyday riding it is probably not your best option.

Good luck with the mods and have fun.

yep ....gearing your DRZ is all about compromise with a 5 speed box....I just set my gearing for where I mostly ride..

performance upgrades will give you more flexibility..i.e. Tall gearing will make a stock powerplant feel like a slug...extra torque will help here..

Edited by craigodrz400sm