Sign in to follow this  

More comfortable seat?

Hey guys, just picked up a 2005 CRF450X today. Im coming from the XRL world and must say that I am loving this new bike. The power to weight ratio is mind boggling.

My problem thus far is that Im 6 foot 2 220 pounds and this seat is like sitting on a 2x4. I know thats how dirt bikes are but I do tend to ride a lot on the street.

What are you guys doing about getting more comfortable? Id rather get a new seat versus a pad.

Hey guys, just picked up a 2005 CRF450X today. Im coming from the XRL world and must say that I am loving this new bike. The power to weight ratio is mind boggling.

My problem thus far is that Im 6 foot 2 220 pounds and this seat is like sitting on a 2x4. I know thats how dirt bikes are but I do tend to ride a lot on the street.

What are you guys doing about getting more comfortable? Id rather get a new seat versus a pad.

Softer seats cause chafing, badly!

Best thing is lot's of seat time.

Otherwise, get a Guts Racing foam kit, Medium soft.

• Like 1

I put a Seat Concepts on mine and I really like it. I've done 450 mile days and except for the seams in my skivies creating a hot spot I have no complaints. Yes, you feel the width of the seat while standing with your weight back. It does not bother me.

the x seat pan is molded for battery clearance right about back where a tall guy might sit. The foam is thin there. Have to agree a tall seat seat foam would proabably be better for you. FWIW, guts foams are soft=XR honda med= crf honda hard=ktm. Tall-softs are what lots of think they want, then usally concede the med would have been better, Just depends on your weight and how much you sit though.

Guts also makes a comfort foam version that is slightly wider, and the stock seat cover will still work. It is like magic for the hindquarters.

I have the Guts comfort seat, don't go that route, its broken down badly. I spoke to the seat concepts guy at the Long Beach M/C show. Super guy that really seems to know his stuff. About 150.00 for new foam and cover. I'm heading that way real soon. Have a friend that LOVES his on his KTM.

I've found that lots of baby powder prevents chafing. At least thats what my granny said.

Right! My seat pan is broken an held together my rivets and sheet alluminum. It's only $150 or so for a whole new seat from Honda, but then I get to pull the foam and toss it aside, because I really like the Seat Concepts foam and cover.

If you do buy Seat Concepts, don't expect the red vinyl to come anywhere near to matching the plastics. I wish now I had told them to do the whole thing in black.

I went with the Seat Concepts in black. Very quick shipping.

First thought was that the all black cover looks and feels GREAT. Cover went on really easily. So after a short ride Im a little disappointed with the firmness. I was hoping it would be a little softer but its still WAYYYYY better than the stock seat. The width is PERFECT.

Id recommend it for sure.

I went with the Seat Concepts in black. Very quick shipping.

First thought was that the all black cover looks and feels GREAT. Cover went on really easily. So after a short ride Im a little disappointed with the firmness. I was hoping it would be a little softer but its still WAYYYYY better than the stock seat. The width is PERFECT.

Id recommend it for sure.

Give it a few rides to break in, if it started out perfect, when it did break in it would be too soft.

Bundy

The Guts soft comfort seat starts out perfect and stays that way. The one you got will work, though.

I've been riding a long time, and I've never had a seat that was too soft or too comfortable.