Sign in to follow this  

no revs, checked everything i know, what else can it be? FIXED!

a buddy of mine has a 98 YZ250. it has tons of compression and starts real easy (hot or cold). it will rev just a little in neutral but it will not rev out when riding. sounds like it is flooding out or something. i am fairly new to 2-strokes but i know my way around a bike. did searches and have eliminated the power valve, it is working. carb is clean, changed plug, reeds look good and not stuck or broken. pulled the silencer off and no change. i have adjusted the carb in both directions and it seemed to be just a little better with it almost all the way out. but very little and only in neutral. air filter is clean. no air leaks anywhere. is there anything else i can check or do?

Edited by ridinredneck

I am assuming that you pulled to bowl and know that the mainjet is still in place? I vibrated one loose once and it ran about like that. If that is not it, it sound like electrical issues.

Try fresh fuel ? ...is the new plug getting wet ? If so, it could either be a sign that there is too much fuel in the bottom end, flooding it out (had that problem before), and you just have to let it keep idling til it burns it all, ... or the ignition is'nt working 100%,

even though there is spark. CDI's, coils, stators, wiring, etc can be a real pain to try and diagnose.

Edited by yamaha7442

its your reeds .. my buddy had the same thing happen to him with his trx250r and we checked everything! his cousin gave him new boysen reeds so we put them in and it fixed the problem right up i hope this helps i made an account just to help you with your problem hhaa goodluck

I am assuming that you pulled to bowl and know that the mainjet is still in place? I vibrated one loose once and it ran about like that. If that is not it, it sound like electrical issues.

yea check the main jet

yep, thats what it was. i dont know how i missed it. thanks for the tip.

its your reeds .. my buddy had the same thing happen to him with his trx250r and we checked everything! his cousin gave him new boysen reeds so we put them in and it fixed the problem right up i hope this helps i made an account just to help you with your problem hhaa goodluck

i appreciate it bro. but it ended up being that the main jet came loose. hope to see ya around here now that ya have an account. thanks again