Sign in to follow this  

2001 CR250R HELP

So I've just come off a 2002 KX125 and I've bought this. I have a couple of small problems, but never owned a 250 before so they may be normal. First of all, starting the bike. Obviously being a 250 it's harder to kick over, which is a bit of a problem for me since I am only 5ft 3" and 55kg. The bike starts without the choke on and relatively easy, but the stand keeps flicking back and when I ride with only shorts on it sometimes flicks back and hits me right on the ankle where my bone is, never had this problem with my other bikes. (2006 YZ85, 2002 CR125, 2002 KX125)

When kicking it down into gear you need to give it a little gas or it will stall, is this normal?

Another thing, when in first gear the bike will stall below 10km/h which I thought was a little strange, maybe idling high? not sure.

I feel 1st through to 3rd are almost a waste as it's just constant wheel spin, and only having 5 gears I find myself wanting another gear. (I ride mainly trails) I'm usually stuck in 4th and then I go through to 5th as I rather revving through the midrange than revving it out fully unless I'm on a straight, and when there is a straight I keep thinking theres another gear and end up laying off the throttle so I'm not stuck in high revs for to long. I'm either thinking new sprocket setup, 14/48 was recommended for me over the stock 13/50. How much more top end will this give me? The bike seems to have a lot of power and like I said 1st through to 3rd have stupid acceleration when on the throttle and could do with longer gear ratios since I don't ride much mx. Was also thinking a 500 might be a good idea, or a 250 with 6 gears? how much harder do 500's go? 250 doesn't scare me too much, fast enough, but just leaves me wanting a higher top speed maybe 20-30km/hs more, but don't want to affect the acceleration too much.

The trails you ride must be like roads. The trails I have ridden on, I am lucky if I get out of 2nd gear with stock gearing on my CR. Changing gearing doesn't give more power at any point, it just changes how quickly the bike gets into the powerband. If you add teeth to the rear or subtract from the cs sprocket, you will lose top end speed and be able to get into the powerband more quickly. If you do the opposite, you will take longer to get into the powerband and gain more top speed. Generally, not the type of gearing you want for trail riding.

If you have to ask, you are not ready for a 500. Maybe once you ride that 250 to its potential and you are desiring more, then that can be a possibility. At your size, that probably wouldn't be a good idea.

It sounds like you either need to adjust your clutch or open it up and inspect it. Check the basket for grooving and measure to make sure plates, etc., are all still within spec.

Really? 2nd Gear? 2nd gear on my bike seems to only last a second and you'd be doing about 20km/h, I don't don't tight trail riding. There's quite a few long stretches, there's a bike trail and then a road, but I ride along that as well since it's windy and leads off from the bike trail. As I said I sometimes ride MX as well, would 14/48 be a good gearing for the both of them? I'm guessing it would make 1st through to 3rd a little longer as well, all I really want is longer gears so I can hold 3rd and 4th little longer. The bike seems to have a lot of pull even in 5th, on bitumen it's just a twist of the wrist and pull up a little on the handlebars, then you're up doing a wheelie.

Cheers for the feedback.

Edited by Foleyy

I am running 13/49 on my CR, I could really go up to 50 or 51 on the rear for the tighter trails. If you are doing more open stuff, I would start with adding a 14 to the front. That will be about the equivalent of going 2 teeth down on the rear and CS sprockets are really cheap. You'll probably have to add a couple links to your chain as well. Also, depending on how much wear there is on your sprockets and chain, it might be good to replace them all at the same time to avoid uneven wear. A badly worn sprocket will wear out a new chain quickly. But, I would experiment with different CS sprockets too avoid high costs of buying different rear sprockets.

I am running 13/49 on my CR, I could really go up to 50 or 51 on the rear for the tighter trails. If you are doing more open stuff, I would start with adding a 14 to the front. That will be about the equivalent of going 2 teeth down on the rear and CS sprockets are really cheap. You'll probably have to add a couple links to your chain as well. Also, depending on how much wear there is on your sprockets and chain, it might be good to replace them all at the same time to avoid uneven wear. A badly worn sprocket will wear out a new chain quickly. But, I would experiment with different CS sprockets too avoid high costs of buying different rear sprockets.

believe it or not, adding a tooth in the front is actually closer to going down 4 in the rear. either way, i run 13/51 on trails and 14/51 for desert. i really like the 14/51 for desert on the 00. a 116 link chain will work for both combos.

Edited by mynewcr250

So 14/51 or 14/48? Chain and sprockets are in good condition, replaced 6mths ago so I will probably to the whole job in one go. Will 14/48 really take down the acceleration? How much more do you get out of 14/51 compared to 13/51?

Check the basket for grooving and measure to make sure plates, etc., are all still within spec.

what does this have to do with the sudden abrupt of a 250? all 250 2 strokes are snappy. if he said that its wheelspining then we all should know that his clutch system is working fine and not slipping.

I feel 1st through to 3rd are almost a waste as it's just constant wheel spin, and only having 5 gears I find myself wanting another gear. (I ride mainly trails) I'm usually stuck in 4th and then I go through to 5th as I rather revving through the midrange than revving it out fully unless I'm on a straight, and when there is a straight I keep thinking theres another gear and end up laying off the throttle so I'm not stuck in high revs for to long. I'm either thinking new sprocket setup, 14/48 was recommended for me over the stock 13/50. How much more top end will this give me? The bike seems to have a lot of power and like I said 1st through to 3rd have stupid acceleration when on the throttle and could do with longer gear ratios since I don't ride much mx. Was also thinking a 500 might be a good idea, or a 250 with 6 gears? how much harder do 500's go? 250 doesn't scare me too much, fast enough, but just leaves me wanting a higher top speed maybe 20-30km/hs more, but don't want to affect the acceleration too much.

dont mean harsh but all 250s are very brutal. and i really dont think you are ready for a 5 hunny. with your weight and probaböy your body structure, 250s wont fit you right considering your want a softer more tamer hit. why not go 4 stroke? if you cant ride 125, then certainly you wont with a 250 or a 500.

Edited by hardhitwarrior

So 14/51 or 14/48? Chain and sprockets are in good condition, replaced 6mths ago so I will probably to the whole job in one go. Will 14/48 really take down the acceleration? How much more do you get out of 14/51 compared to 13/51?

From what you are saying that the first 3 gears aren't used much.... just go 14/48. That should get you more in the ballpark since you aren't going fast enough.. Sounds like you are riding more roads than trails ..(.someone said that already...I think) I run 12/51 on my 01 cr as I ride tight stuff most of the time so it works for me. I don't have top end speed (don't need it) but I run throughout my 5 gears. I have a variety of countershaft and rear sprockets to switch to if I want to adjust for specific riding and run higher gearing . The 12/51 is as low as I will go ..... The 14/48 wont take down the acceleration ...You may feel the opposite as you wont run through the gears as fast.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

what does this have to do with the sudden abrupt of a 250? all 250 2 strokes are snappy. if he said that its wheelspining then we all should know that his clutch system is working fine and not slipping.

Well, since you only quoted a portion of what I said, you can certainly make it sound however you like. I recommended he needed to adjust his clutch or that he may need to open it up and inspect it. Not sure how you got any of that having to do with wheel spin and the power of the bike. It was actually a suggestion regarding his problem with stalling. But, I haven't actually seen how this bike is ridden, so I can only make guestimations based off of the information given.

Well, since you only quoted a portion of what I said, you can certainly make it sound however you like. I recommended he needed to adjust his clutch or that he may need to open it up and inspect it. Not sure how you got any of that having to do with wheel spin and the power of the bike. It was actually a suggestion regarding his problem with stalling. But, I haven't actually seen how this bike is ridden, so I can only make guestimations based off of the information given.

yes i did took just a portion of your perv, post coz i thought it was irrelevant to how the bike would wheelspin. wheelspin equals very much power (i guess). if it DOES have power, as it seems to be, then atleast he has good traction with his clutch plates. therefore, no need to open clutch cover. if it was grabbing while disenganged, he didnt mention it, then open cover to check/change components especially basket.

Edited by hardhitwarrior

So I've just come off a 2002 KX125 and I've bought this. I have a couple of small problems, but never owned a 250 before so they may be normal. First of all, starting the bike. Obviously being a 250 it's harder to kick over, which is a bit of a problem for me since I am only 5ft 3" and 55kg. The bike starts without the choke on and relatively easy, but the stand keeps flicking back and when I ride with only shorts on it sometimes flicks back and hits me right on the ankle where my bone is, never had this problem with my other bikes. (2006 YZ85, 2002 CR125, 2002 KX125)

When kicking it down into gear you need to give it a little gas or it will stall, is this normal?

Another thing, when in first gear the bike will stall below 10km/h which I thought was a little strange, maybe idling high? not sure.

Let me get this straight.. you want a 500 because a 250 isn't fast enough but you have a hard time starting the 250. .... The stand flips back and hits you on the bone where your ankle is when you are wearing shorts.... :lol::smirk::bonk:

Yeah If I sit right on the back of the bike it won't even lift up it just keeps spinning and even at low revs in 4th and 5th the back end slides out when you punch it, probably because I'm soo light haha. It has an fmf powercore exhaust and silencer so it's really responsive, think it has VForce reeds too. I think a 500 is just too powerful for my weight, and yes I'm probably not ready. I think I will go 14/48, seems to be the best for me. All I really want is a longer gear ratio for a higher top speed. I do go to my local MX track, but I don't race so 14/48 should still be fine around the track with the power it puts out, also probably stop the wheelspin a little through the lower gears. I have little to no knowledge on bikes. Only know how to change air filter, drain trans fluid etc the basics. The clutch I can deal with for the moment, it's nothing major. Might ask them to take a look at it when I get the sprockets done though. crf450f was my first choice, but I just can't afford a $3,000 rebuild if I buy one and the top end goes or whatever. Plus they are a little more expensive than my bike and I also have a car to run which isn't exactly cheap.

Yeah If I sit right on the back of the bike it won't even lift up it just keeps spinning and even at low revs in 4th and 5th the back end slides out when you punch it, probably because I'm soo light haha. It has an fmf powercore exhaust and silencer so it's really responsive, think it has VForce reeds too. I think a 500 is just too powerful for my weight, and yes I'm probably not ready. I think I will go 14/48, seems to be the best for me. All I really want is a longer gear ratio for a higher top speed. I do go to my local MX track, but I don't race so 14/48 should still be fine around the track with the power it puts out, also probably stop the wheelspin a little through the lower gears. I have little to no knowledge on bikes. Only know how to change air filter, drain trans fluid etc the basics. The clutch I can deal with for the moment, it's nothing major. Might ask them to take a look at it when I get the sprockets done though. crf450f was my first choice, but I just can't afford a $3,000 rebuild if I buy one and the top end goes or whatever. Plus they are a little more expensive than my bike and I also have a car to run which isn't exactly cheap.

I think you'll be all good with the higher gearing. I'd invest in some good dirtbike boots and riding gear too.

Yeah will get it done soon. chain and sprockets are pretty new so I can always go back. I have myself some body armour and some boots, but I rarely wear them since I use my bike up the river and I'm usually wearing board shorts, t shirt and a helmet. Even at the track I don't wear the body armour or boots, I feel more confortable without it and I can't change with the boots. Obviously I am taking a risk by not wearing it, but a risk I take.

Yeah will get it done soon. chain and sprockets are pretty new so I can always go back. I have myself some body armour and some boots, but I rarely wear them since I use my bike up the river and I'm usually wearing board shorts, t shirt and a helmet. Even at the track I don't wear the body armour or boots, I feel more confortable without it and I can't change with the boots. Obviously I am taking a risk by not wearing it, but a risk I take.

Good luck with that :smirk:

Let me get this straight.. you want a 500 because a 250 isn't fast enough but you have a hard time starting the 250. .... The stand flips back and hits you on the bone where your ankle is when you are wearing shorts.... :lol::smirk::bonk:

Yep haha Like I said I've never been on a 250 before so maybe this is normal.

what does this have to do with the sudden abrupt of a 250? all 250 2 strokes are snappy. if he said that its wheelspining then we all should know that his clutch system is working fine and not slippin

The OP stated in his first post that the bike would stall when kicked into gear, this could indicate an adjustment is needed of the clutch cable OR grooving of the basket. Advise to inspect the clutch assembly was sound.

• Like 1

ok if he meant that its "grabbbing" while clutched in then yes he "might" have to open and inspect. then again, brands/types of oil does it too. all dirt bikes drag abit.

Basically when I kick the bike over and it's in neutral, when I kick it down into gear it will usually stall if I don't give it a bit of gas. also when I stall the bike with the clutch fully in in any gear the back wheel locks up as if the clutch is still left open. When in first gear with the clutch fully engaged it creeps forward as well, my mate said it's meant to be like that since it's set up for motorcross, which I think is logical because I can launch really fast with this setup compared to the other bikes I've ridden.