Sign in to follow this  

Washington Start Racing

I'd like to get into riding some of the NMA series races. I've never raced in any kind of formal event. Actually I've never rode in any event like a poker run. Where do I start? Should I just go and do it? Ride some poker runs first?

Kind of on the same subject, I've been looking at the desert 100. It's 50 mile loops between pits. I dont think my stock Crf250r Tank would make it, would it? I've carried fuel with me but never had to use it, and it was in a water bottle and it just felt sketchy... kinda like driving with out your seatbelt on.

I'd like to get into riding some of the NMA series races. I've never raced in any kind of formal event. Actually I've never rode in any event like a poker run. Where do I start? Should I just go and do it? Ride some poker runs first?

Kind of on the same subject, I've been looking at the desert 100. It's 50 mile loops between pits. I dont think my stock Crf250r Tank would make it, would it? I've carried fuel with me but never had to use it, and it was in a water bottle and it just felt sketchy... kinda like driving with out your seatbelt on.

Your CRF will probably make it 50 miles before you need filling up at the Dez. That said, I'd carry a quart or so with me "just in case" and you might find that you can dump it in at a bottleneck or something. I did my first and only race two years ago. Just sign up for the C class and go. You might like it, or you might not. As for me, I raced a harescramble and decided that 55 bucks isn't worth it to ride around and have someone tell me how fast I am. I'd be more inclined to do an enduro somewhere where there is some good scenery or a private riding area if I were to do it again. You might love the racing and get addicted. A lot of people do. I'll be at the 100 this year, but its a lot of riding per dollar compared to other events.

Yup, just jump in and do it!

I did my first races ever last year: Dez 100, Shelton Enduro, and Packwood GP.

I had a lot of fun and enjoyed each type of event.

Poker runs are kind of a cluster if you ask me.

Just jump in and do it. The best and most basic advice I can offer you is start hydrating yourself a couple days before your event, I usually try to drink at least a gallon a day. Also wear a camelback if you have one a cool drink during the race is always nice. Proper hydration will help you perform at your best and promotes endurance, you will also have a quicker recovery after the race. Desert 100 is awesome definitely go and try it and I guarantee it won't be the last time you ride it. Most of all have fun and prepared to get hooked!

For events like D100 where your fuel capacity is suspect you can pack an MSR Fuel Bottle in your pack. (MSR the outdoor supply company not the MX one) Its metal, pretty rugged, and designed to carry fuel.

If it was me, I would start with something a little more laid back then the d100. I always thought I had no interest in racing until a buddy talked me into a hare scrambles. I was instantly hooked. There usually is something to know about how it works. Just show up and ask questions of the people you are parked next too. Most will be happy to help. If you are interested in Enduro's, Shelton beginner enduro is a great introduction.

Oh, don't take yourself to seriously and make sure to have fun.

Edited by Willwater

IMHO The best part about organized events is that everyone is going in the same direction. That alone ups the fun factor immensely for me. My cornering speed improves every poker run I do,because it's the only time I get to push myself without fear of somebody else doing the same thing in the opposite direction. I know that's not really what poker runs are about,but that's fun for me. I intend to try a HS this year,so my my poker run racing experience will pay off. Haha

This is good race to cut your teeth on!! Variety of the terrain is most excellant. Feb 18th is the next race.

gallardowinter.jpg

• Like 1

He's a one lapper this year....Super Senior 50yrs

does he have to enter the 1 lap class? i know it's something he's looking forward to but i'm just curious because the second lap is the most fun in my book, the race is all spread out by that point and you get a lot of clear trail plus all the passes you get to lay down on the guys that went out too hard is awesome!

I'm never quite sure what he's up to. He works in another building now, so I don't hear all the planning.

I've been thinking about teaming it for a couple years now but he and I aren't real compatible on the same bike. I don't wanna ride his 125 for 50 miles, and he'll kill himself on my 450. Tim kinda does best on his own...sure can't tell him anything :smirk:

You and Baldy got bets this year? If I ride my WR can we call it a handicap?

I'm never quite sure what he's up to. He works in another building now, so I don't hear all the planning.

I've been thinking about teaming it for a couple years now but he and I aren't real compatible on the same bike. I don't wanna ride his 125 for 50 miles, and he'll kill himself on my 450. Tim kinda does best on his own...sure can't tell him anything :bonk:

You and Baldy got bets this year? If I ride my WR can we call it a handicap?

yeah, you don't want to team up with tim anyway, you'd be pissed when he limps a broken bike in to hand it off to you. 'cause you know with only one lap to do he'd push too hard. lol.

as far as i know the bet is running every year, as a matter of fact scotty is coming up again and has been building his confidence down in florida so much that he's saying he's in on the bet.

i think you'd be a ringer even on the wr but i'll run it by them if you want. damn though, if you were in on it we might have to do the victory meal at a nicer place than shari's. what with that much coin involved. either that or invite the whole camp. can't have you taking too much cash home. :smirk:

you'd be pissed when he limps a broken bike in to hand it off to you.

Of the times I've ridden with Tim he's never hurt the bike, his knees and ankles however.......

Of the times I've ridden with Tim he's never hurt the bike, his knees and ankles however.......

yeah, but that's every ride, during trail rides. just imagine him racing. :bonk:

Is there a 125 four stroke class? :smirk:

if you want to ride my wifes klx we can probably let you in on the bet. :lol:

yeah, but that's every ride, during trail rides. just imagine him racing. :bonk:

if you want to ride my wifes klx we can probably let you in on the bet. :lol:

I do have some KX100 suspension, a PC pipe and a cam for that bike :smirk: